AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn/pellet stove
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

andyn269
Posted 11/2/2015 09:27 (#4872577)
Subject: Corn/pellet stove

Lawton, MI
Anyone have one in their house? How do u like it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jtpfarm
Posted 11/2/2015 09:35 (#4872591 - in reply to #4872577)
Subject: RE: Corn/pellet stove

mn
Are you talking about a free standing stove or a furnace that heats the whole house?
dslman
Posted 11/2/2015 10:04 (#4872626 - in reply to #4872591)

I have had a corn stove for 13 years and love it. Works great on the chilly days and nights. 2 years ago I replaced my 75 year old fuel oil furnace with a corn furnace. That's works great on the very cold winter days. I try not to burn the stove and furnace at the same time but when the wind is blowing strong and temps are close to zero I have at times.
Dave7060
Posted 11/2/2015 10:29 (#4872655 - in reply to #4872577)

Had a corn furnace in the shop for years. Beat my head against the wall far to long trying to get it to work right. No way I would ever put one in a house. I gave that heap of junk away. Corn just isn't ment to be burnt.
smartwick08
Posted 11/2/2015 10:33 (#4872660 - in reply to #4872655)

Minot, ND
Organic corn burns better can't use that gmo stuff.*
nw_bearcat
Posted 11/2/2015 10:37 (#4872664 - in reply to #4872577)

Top middle of MO. land of green hills and grass
Had a Harmon until I sold the house. Burnt about 1 bu or less per day to heat a 4 level farm house, 900 sq ft/ level. Was well insulated along I-80 in IA.

Had to dump ash each week. Otherwise it had settings to light itself, and would vary it's output based upon room temp.

jtpfarm
Posted 11/2/2015 10:41 (#4872667 - in reply to #4872626)

mn
Mine is a corn furnace. 4 bedroom, 2 story poorly insulated farm house and I heat it with 300 bushels of corn per year. Keeping it 73 degrees. I only burn about 100 gallons of LP in early fall and late spring. Fill the hopper every few days and dump the ash once a week. I 10 years all I have done is put an auger and motor in. 3,000 bushels of corn through a 1.5 inch auger just wore it out. Other than that, trouble free.

Edited by jtpfarm 11/2/2015 10:44
TheBonePile
Posted 11/2/2015 10:48 (#4872674 - in reply to #4872577)

Southeast South Dakota
from doing research -
my car mechanic had one for his shop - the smoke(ouput) is VERY corrosive - had to keep replacing pipes -

overall - I think the ycost too much and dont last long enough -

currently thinking pellets might be viable

did notice that corn burners do require more expensive chimney parts
jtpfarm
Posted 11/2/2015 10:59 (#4872690 - in reply to #4872674)

mn
TheBonePile - 11/2/2015 10:48

from doing research -
my car mechanic had one for his shop - the smoke(ouput) is VERY corrosive - had to keep replacing pipes -

overall - I think the ycost too much and dont last long enough -

currently thinking pellets might be viable

did notice that corn burners do require more expensive chimney parts

Its no different than burning any other biofuel. If the fuel is too wet, or the furnace is set wrong you get excess smoke and buildup. Yes the corn builduo is more corrosive, but when set right and cleaned at the end of the season its not a big problem.

As far as the cost, mine was $3800 new. Its 10 years old and still going strong. It has saved me many thousands of dollars over LP.

90% of corn stoves are designed to burn corn or pellets.

Its not only corn burners that require expensive chimney parts. Mine goes up the old block chimney. If I were to put a new chimney through the roof it would require class A stainless steel chimney no matter what it is burning.

I recently purchased an outdoor corn/pellet boiler. It will heat my shop and the new house (when built). $7000. Split that cost between 2 buildings and its not that bad (IMO). This one actually shuts down when there is no heat demand an re-ignites itself on call for heat.
rebuilder
Posted 11/2/2015 11:27 (#4872726 - in reply to #4872626)

Bourbon,Indiana

dslman - 11/2/2015 10:04 I have had a corn stove for 13 years and love it. Works great on the chilly days and nights. 2 years ago I replaced my 75 year old fuel oil furnace with a corn furnace. That's works great on the very cold winter days. I try not to burn the stove and furnace at the same time but when the wind is blowing strong and temps are close to zero I have at times.

Pretty much the same experience "here". First purchased one in early 2000's when LP first started going up. I have a large and drafty farm house, and the LP furnace heat is not quite like the heat from the corn stove.

I am on my second stove...a Harmon PC-43 which I purchased about 9 years ago. I burn about 200 bushels of corn a year. We tried pellets, and  it was nice not having to clean out the stove as often, but it just did not put out heat like corn does. The corn stove I have to shut down about once/ week to clean off the walls etc from fly ash. The ash will cover the walls inside and the heat output will go down noticeably. Ashes are dumped once every 24 hours.

It works best on those transition days when the temps are in the upper 30's-to low 40's. Furnace does not even run then, just the stove.

I use my stove as a primary heat source, and the furnace will start kicking on every so often when the temps get to the low 30's and below.

I have my stove in a mudroom and use a 20" fan in the doorway to blow cold air into the mudroom, and the heated air naturally goes into the kitchen then up the stairs to the bedrooms. The corn keeps about 75% of my house warm in the cold weather. The west rooms downstairs do get chilly. But we just cover up with blankets .

There will be ashes and fly ash to deal with, as well as dust from the corn. So it is nice having it in my mudroom vs a nicer room in the house.

To give you a better idea of how nice it is......it is normal to find a bunch of naked kids....and sometimes a naked wife in front of that stove warming up after being outside, taking a shower, etc.

If / when I do things over I will likely follow dslman and upgrade to a corn furnace. Something which does not need as much cleaning.

GREEN FARMER
Posted 11/2/2015 12:14 (#4872778 - in reply to #4872690)

central mn
jtp what brand stove is the outdoor one?
Showtime
Posted 11/2/2015 12:38 (#4872816 - in reply to #4872577)

N.W. Ohio
had a corn stove in my last house.... they are more ment to burn pellats... My father and I built our own fire pots and other mods to burn corn better.. We got it to we burtn 100% corn and boy will it run you out of the house. My new house has no place for one atm so I am on LP but soon as the addition goes in my wife is making me put in a fireplace with a corn stove insert. The heat it puts out is the best heat!
jtpfarm
Posted 11/2/2015 12:56 (#4872844 - in reply to #4872778)

mn
GREEN FARMER - 11/2/2015 12:14

jtp what brand stove is the outdoor one?

Its a Central Boiler brand. Apparently the old ones were set up to burn corn or pellets on the same settings with a low mode to keep it burning on idle. The one I got is one of the EPA approved ones. It has a pellet mode and a corn mode. The low mode on both corn and pellets is disabled. They now have an electric igniter so instead of going into low mode, it just stops completely and reignites when there is a call for heat.

It is replacing my indoor corn boiler in the shop (which is now for sale) and will heat the shop and new house. In both the old house and in the shop I fed the corn with a feed line flex auger directly into the hopper to eliminate dust when filling. (and a lot of work) I did the same with the outdoor one as I set it in the old silo room on the barn (shop).

I will add some pictures later.

The way I figure it is it takes $91 worth of corn @ $3.50 to make 10 million BTU. Corn having 381,000 BTU per bushel.

It takes $129 to make 10 million BTU with LP at $1.20 per gallon. LP having 91,000 BTU per gallon.

Obviously furnace efficiency is going to change the numbers but the Central corn burner is rated 92% efficient by the EPA.

Edited by jtpfarm 11/2/2015 13:07
andyn269
Posted 11/2/2015 14:15 (#4872938 - in reply to #4872591)

Lawton, MI
Something for supplemental heat, have NG but would like something for basement of a bi-level that would hear most of house, always chilly downstairs, whoever did hvac didn't size it correctly(I think) not a big deal to carry in a couple pails of corn when needed.
Timd3200
Posted 11/2/2015 14:33 (#4872967 - in reply to #4872577)

SoCenIL
I have a corn Boiler furnace in my house. Put it in 8 years ago. It has been very good so far. I have hot water base board heat so it is a large water heater . I have the domestic hot water heater installed and it pre heats the water for the house also. It is an Amaze a blaze. They make a forced air furnace also. I have a 2 story old farm house and it is not overly insulated. For me it works best when it is cold. If the temps are above 30 I have a hard time because it will build to much heat trying to keep the fire burning. I have fired it at night and shut it down during the day. Pain but it works. If I had to do it again I my have just installed a smaller supplemental heat type. At the time if install LP was 5$ a gallon. It has paid for it self with the LP savings.
NoTill1825
Posted 11/2/2015 15:01 (#4872998 - in reply to #4872577)

NC Indiana
I've had both a corn stove and a corn furnace. Depending on how your house is insulated and the corn you have to burn, they both have their pluses. My wife likes the corn furnace better than the stove or the LP gas furnace, but it has to be cold out to justify using it.
WillB
Posted 11/2/2015 16:37 (#4873095 - in reply to #4872577)

Ontario Canada
Folks bought one of the esrly Dovetrc cornstoves back in 1988, still going strong today.
Corn is 14% triple cleaned, has zero issues keeping the house warm.
Cleaning is easdy, shut off fan, clean and turn fan back on.

http://cornstove.ca/products.html
greasegun
Posted 11/2/2015 19:15 (#4873353 - in reply to #4872726)

W.C. Mo.
Pictures??????
a4t-1600
Posted 11/2/2015 23:25 (#4873952 - in reply to #4872577)

Dearfield Co.
I have had several and wore them out--------except the ones I ruined experimenting with fuels. I had access to dog food that couldn't be sold and burnt it for a long time in my corn stove with some modifications. I had a dove tech I bought at the 3 I show to replace a wood burning stove and then after it warped I bought a american stove from a tractor supply . It also warped the door burning wheat. The last one we had was a Bixby. It would burn wetter corn than the others and dirtier corn. I also burned grass pellets and alfalfa pellets in it. Sun flower meal pellets didn't burn so good in it-------------------Sold it after I got the insurance canceled over 3 hail storms 3 roofs the same year. Insurance was going to be more money and corn was high. I liked the bixby the best
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)