AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Post harvest insomnia..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Detroit
Posted 12/5/2014 01:09 (#4220555)
Subject: Post harvest insomnia..

Crawfordsville, Arkansas
Am I the only one that deals with not being able to go to sleep at a somewhat normal hour after finishing up harvest? Been totally finished for going on 3 weeks now and in the past week or 10 days I've been up till 1 or 2am every night.

Granted I'm not working near as hard during the day as I was 3 weeks ago but I'm still getting up at the same time and staying busy and active during the day. If I was sleeping till noon I could understand not being sleepy at night but that's just not the case.

I don't like taking otc sleeping pills on a regular basis but they do work. Too well usually and its mid morning before I can get up and going. Anyone here use a prescription sleep aid like Ambien or others? Haven't talked to my doc about it yet as I was hoping it would pass in a few more days but that doesn't seem to be happening. It's gonna be a long winter if I can't get this figured out..
Top of the page Bottom of the page
drk
Posted 12/5/2014 02:38 (#4220567 - in reply to #4220555)
Subject: RE: Post harvest insomnia..

IA
Buy a couple of pot loads of heifers to calve out.... You'll have a reason to be up then!!! Lol just kidding. How much caffeine do you drink during the day. Could have something to do with it also?
RGliden
Posted 12/5/2014 02:51 (#4220570 - in reply to #4220555)

NW TN, Dyersburg
I can always fall asleep by 10 pm, my trouble is "staying" asleep. I've never taken ambien but I once witnessed the side effects of it, serious hallucinations, enough for me to know I don't want any of that. I have taken Benidril, that helps me but I'm just not a fan of taking any kind of drug. SO, I catch up on Agtalk.
Farmboy1983
Posted 12/5/2014 03:33 (#4220574 - in reply to #4220555)

Stewart, MN
I work rotating shifts in my town job so my body knows to grab any sleep it can get!
Ben
Posted 12/5/2014 04:17 (#4220591 - in reply to #4220574)

North Mo.
Many years ago in the Army I worked rotating shifts. Got off at 7am one morning went to bed. Woke up, looked at the clock "oh my gosh gonna miss snack bar" Hopped in car drove real fast ordered hamburger and fries cook looked at me funny. I looked around most had bacon and eggs. I mistook the clock, before digital by the way. Oh the good ole days!!
IowaMark
Posted 12/5/2014 04:28 (#4220594 - in reply to #4220570)

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
RGliden - 12/5/2014 02:51

I can always fall asleep by 10 pm, my trouble is "staying" asleep. I've never taken ambien but I once witnessed the side effects of it, serious hallucinations, enough for me to know I don't want any of that. I have taken Benidril, that helps me but I'm just not a fan of taking any kind of drug. SO, I catch up on Agtalk.

Same problem here, part of my problem I get on here at 4:00 a.m. amd it stimulates my mind, I have to break this bad habit.

My wife takes a generic form of Ambien you mentioned and she has never had any hallucinations. She does however only take 1/2 a pill. She does say however if she takes it two nights in a row it gives her a headache the next day. I've tried it 3-4 times over the years and had zero side effects but don't like the idea of using sleeping pills either.
oldbob
Posted 12/5/2014 04:32 (#4220595 - in reply to #4220555)

West Cental Arkansas
I have the same problem as you. I can go to sleep as soon as I go to bed , but staying asleep is the problem. I no longer farm. It is 4:26 am right now and I am awake posting on Ag Talk. Last night I was awake at 1 am. I stay awake for at least an hour to 1 1/2 hours then I can go back to sleep. I don't have anything eating at me----unpleasant job, almost retired----have no debt---good marriage--- I just wake up. Have read this is do to aging---I am 61.

Glad to know I am not the only one with this problem.
Feeder
Posted 12/5/2014 04:40 (#4220597 - in reply to #4220595)

South-East South Dakota
I'm younger than a lot of you guys and it's the same way here. Really gotta be tired to sleep over 4/5 hours straight.
soya257
Posted 12/5/2014 04:51 (#4220600 - in reply to #4220597)

I am the same way , wake up in the middle of the night and up by 4 or 5 and if I just lay there I might as well be up and on the computer if it is dark seeing what is going on in the world.
I have taken NyQuil the green color for cold and flue when I start getting a cold and sleep like a baby , but I do not want to take it every day and become an addict.
Jeff
Posted 12/5/2014 05:09 (#4220606 - in reply to #4220595)

Centralia, MO
My question is..........what time do you go to bed? Do you try to stay up so you might sleep to a later time in the morning? Usually by 10 PM I'm laying in bed, fall asleep with the tv on and around 4 AM it's time to make coffee, then catch up on Ag Talk and Craigslist.
JRthefarmer
Posted 12/5/2014 06:10 (#4220672 - in reply to #4220555)

SESD
I'm the opposite. I struggle to make 10 a lot of nights. My body is ready for hibernation after 80+hr weeks for a couple months.
mn2
Posted 12/5/2014 06:36 (#4220718 - in reply to #4220672)

im 60, wake up anywhere from 2-3 am can't get back to sleep. lay on the couch will sleep till 5:30. I do fall asleep in the chair at around 8 tho.
School Of Hard Knock
Posted 12/5/2014 06:48 (#4220741 - in reply to #4220555)

just a tish NE of central ND
I never have problems sleeping. My troubles begin when I wake up!, lol.
Seems we get trained into sleep patterns. If you tell yourself over and over when you go to sleep to forget your troubles and relax until daylight the next morning it helps you sleep.
richard240
Posted 12/5/2014 07:40 (#4220867 - in reply to #4220555)

jackson county WI
DO NOT take ambien! It is a drug that never should have been put on market. Witnessed side effects of this in someone and it is not
good. Worse drug to try and get off.
OntarioCanuck
Posted 12/5/2014 07:43 (#4220875 - in reply to #4220741)

North of London
We have all had those nights but I will second hard knocks suggestion.
It is a learned thing maybe but find something else to occupy your mind with like the old thing about counting sheep.

Deep breathing and turn the mind off.

I like a clock radio on with quiet music then make yourself relax start with toes and fingers then work you way up your body, that is the learned part.

But sometimes I just have to get up and make a cup of hot chocolate and do something for a little while.
ndred
Posted 12/5/2014 07:58 (#4220907 - in reply to #4220867)

s nd
I sleep like a baby. Wake up bawling every two hours. MIght be my nreves, though. Think I knocked up the secretary again. Oh well. I just ordered this natural product from one of the newsletters I get. Will give it a try and let you know. It's called sleep dissolves. Melts on your tongue. See if the link works or just google it.

http://www.northstarnutritionals.com/sleep-dissolves-nutritional-su...
IowaMark
Posted 12/5/2014 07:59 (#4220911 - in reply to #4220907)

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
Keep us posted on your results.
sri
Posted 12/5/2014 08:25 (#4220969 - in reply to #4220907)

nw pa

Yes keep us updated on the  secretary

centralillinois
Posted 12/5/2014 08:36 (#4220995 - in reply to #4220555)

Try melatonin. The body produces it naturally but as we age we produce less. Supplements may not be be quite as dangerous as other sleep medications. There are a number of different dosages available.
Red/Green
Posted 12/5/2014 08:50 (#4221039 - in reply to #4220995)

Elizabethtown,KY
I wake up 2-3 times/night during harvest, but as soon as it was over I was back to sleeping all night, I take 1 tylenol PM at bed time, that is enough to make me fall asleep quickly and stay asleep when I'm not doing field work, and it helps when I am in the field.
Brian in E Ore
Posted 12/5/2014 08:51 (#4221041 - in reply to #4220555)

Malheur County Oregon
I have trouble getting my brain to shut down at bedtime and often wake up in the middle of the night and cant go back to sleep. Ambien works wonders for me. Dr prescribed a 10mg pill for me and I have just been breaking them in half and doing fine. Conks me out within 30 minutes of going to bed and sleep pretty well unless my shoulders start bothering me. No grogginess in the am like i get from taking advil pm.
Dr first gave me Rozerem and that gave me screwy dreams. The Ambiem seems to have no side effects on me. You may want to give something a try and it may take a couple of different tries to find the pill for you.
rocky grounder
Posted 12/5/2014 08:57 (#4221061 - in reply to #4221041)

blairsville,pa
Get smashed during the day u'll sleep like a baby :)
AR1920
Posted 12/5/2014 09:26 (#4221117 - in reply to #4220555)

NEMO
I buy the ty pm or other OTC products that can be cut in two and just take 1/2 pill. That helps me fall asleep yet I don't wake up still tired.
Detroit
Posted 12/5/2014 09:40 (#4221144 - in reply to #4220606)

Crawfordsville, Arkansas
Jeff - 12/5/2014 04:09

My question is..........what time do you go to bed? Do you try to stay up so you might sleep to a later time in the morning? Usually by 10 PM I'm laying in bed, fall asleep with the tv on and around 4 AM it's time to make coffee, then catch up on Ag Talk and Craigslist.

If I go to bed at 10 or 11 I'll lay there for hours before I finally go to sleep. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm up or down, Im just not sleepy.
denny-o
Posted 12/5/2014 11:25 (#4221331 - in reply to #4221144)

Michigan - Saginaw County
In bed by 9.
Up between 3 and 5 am.
This morning it was 3:30 when the dog had an insulin reaction and started whimpering (poor little guy)
By the time we got that squared away it was after 4 so just started breakfast and stayed up
Age is the issue most mornings
Though I did spend 35 years of going to bed at 9 and being up at 4:30 to get to the hospital (30 mile trip) for morning rounds and back to the office for the first patient by 8
Before that I was in plant engineering for manufacturing plants and never knew when I would get to bed, or when I would get rolled back out
Bad habits are hard to break
You will not get me to use addictive drugs for sleep (or any other reason)
don@nebr
Posted 12/5/2014 12:09 (#4221425 - in reply to #4220555)

HERE is the weirdest thing you will hear all day.

Doctor rx'ed ambien and I didnt like that either. Plus it quit working at all.

I found quite by accident that a 'salt' tablet like they fed you by handfuls during football practice and 70's hot factory worked 10 times better.

Could fall asleep faster and stay sleeping better IF my salt was higher. Especially in heat of summer when outside working like a dog. Like roofing in 90 plus heat 105 heat index areas.

Now that I work all in controlled envirn,,,heated winter,,,cooled summer it has been not so big of deal,,,,but I use table salt alot. The hogwash on reduced sodium is just that. DOES NOT work here.

Course having light skin, fair hair, and easy overheated doesnt help. I can sweat when most are still wearing winter coats

Not saying its a cure all for every one,,,but try it a couple times before saying 'yeah right.' Your mileage may vary.
Deere9986
Posted 12/5/2014 15:53 (#4221753 - in reply to #4220555)

West Tennessee
I play around with the wife before bed time and usually sleep like a baby.
ndsu84
Posted 12/5/2014 17:29 (#4221897 - in reply to #4220555)

EC North Dakota
I used to be able to sleep 18 hours straight. Now if I go to bed before 10, I'm up at 3. Really sucks.

I definitely need some physical work to be happy.
monse
Posted 12/5/2014 20:11 (#4222308 - in reply to #4220555)

NE ND
Same here. Has been a month since we finished all the field work and just now adjusting. Seems like I get on a adrenaline rush at the end of the year making sure everything keeps going through harvest, then sit and push to get tillage done before ground freezes and snow flies. Find myself almost pacing the house trying to unwind. Work hangover?
jeff gordon
Posted 12/5/2014 20:49 (#4222402 - in reply to #4220555)

Mather, Manitoba
Hey buddy: When harvest is wrapped up, work is done and stuff put away, I sleep for a solid week. That's the best time of the year. Relaxed and no worries.
I start getting insomnia around early April, as well as tax time.
Detroit
Posted 12/5/2014 20:52 (#4222413 - in reply to #4222308)

Crawfordsville, Arkansas
monse - 12/5/2014 19:11

Same here. Has been a month since we finished all the field work and just now adjusting. Seems like I get on a adrenaline rush at the end of the year making sure everything keeps going through harvest, then sit and push to get tillage done before ground freezes and snow flies. Find myself almost pacing the house trying to unwind. Work hangover?
l

It's go go go for months then it stops one afternoon. Hard to get adjusted. Field work was over here a couple weeks before harvest was. Just too wet to get anything done. Rained 3" this week alone..
nhfarmer
Posted 12/5/2014 22:01 (#4222546 - in reply to #4220555)

NW Saskatchewan
As a lifelong insomniac and light sleeper I finally went to the doc for help. He prescribed 10mg Sublinox for me, take it an hour before I want to be asleep. Crawl into bed with Ipad, put one under my tongue and surf AgTalk till I am sleepy. Have actually woken the next morning with the Ipad laying beside me on the bed. Fell asleep so fast Didnt have time to put it on the nightstand. Bad thing is takes awhile in the morning to get going but once you do you are well rested. Wish I'd asked for help years ago.Doc says some folks just have to stay on it for life to function.Clinical name is Zolpidem Tartrate 10 mg. Works, for me but sometimes gives me some weird dreams lol
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)