AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

harbor freight tool boxes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bharzman
Posted 11/11/2014 07:19 (#4170886)
Subject: harbor freight tool boxes

North Central Kansas
I just got this in my email this am. I recall some of you mentioned that they are a good shop tool box. And even better when on sale. So I thought I would post the link for them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-13-Drawer-Glossy-Red-Industrial-...

http://www.harborfreight.com/11-drawer-roller-cabinet-67421.html?cc...

http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb-capacity-four-drawer-tool-cart-...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dave9110
Posted 11/11/2014 07:42 (#4170931 - in reply to #4170886)
Subject: RE: harbor freight tool boxes

north-central Indiana west of Fulton
We have a couple of the first link and I just got one of the third one to put some tools on at home for 99 dollars.... Very much worth the money.
4WD
Posted 11/11/2014 07:43 (#4170933 - in reply to #4170886)

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

Don't forget about the big one, too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/72-in-18-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-61656.html

Two months ago, it was on sale at $1099,(today is $1199, on sale) but you must pay shipping, as the stores don't carry it and they won't bring them in on a stock order either. My shipping was about $98, for it two months ago.(not bad, for shipped directly to farm, and driver waits for you to inspect it, before he leaves) Note: You must have a way to unload them, on the farm{forklift or tractor loader, etc}

pjt
Posted 11/11/2014 07:54 (#4170954 - in reply to #4170886)

Princeton,IN
Got a 56" model, too. Top and bottom box links:

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabine...

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabine...

Picked up the top box in the store, had a scratch on the back, they gave me 20% off the sale price...
Old Pokey
Posted 11/11/2014 08:08 (#4170971 - in reply to #4170886)

I already bought the side boxes because they are not on any sale flyer. But the 44" box will be on their black friday sale for even less. I am an inside track member and can buy the black friday stuff on wednesday before it all gets picked over. Of course, I am lucky enough to have 2 HF stores right local to me. I am planning on the 44" but may, at the last second up it tot he 56". All the boxes are on the floor at my local store and I have shopped around. They are a great quality box. I prefer the drawer sizes on the 56", but the 44" is at a price point that just can not be beat. Even the Husky stuff at home depot is fine, but cant hold up to the HF boxes.

HF has an interesting ad system. They do things old school where one has to actually put some effort into finding their bottom line with coupons. Some of their coupons go on top of sale prices, others do not. But if you do much at HF, you have to follow their ads like a habit.

What small bit of junk mail I get has a HF coupon in it each month with free goodies. Some without any purchase. The coupon page also has a 20% off any one item with a few exemptions of course. I carry that monthly coupon with me in the pickup and each time i have a spare 10 minutes when going into town for parts, I go by HF and get the free goodies if it something I can use or worth while to give away for favors etc. Here's my stack of latest HF free stuff. I have used the one and compared it to my OTC meter. It is accurate and functions well. Even comes with a battery so it can be used right out of the store. I have already given several away and have these to give to some folks that I know dont have one but should have one. Thanks Harbor.

(hf meters.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hf meters.JPG (143KB - 223 downloads)
Pat H
Posted 11/11/2014 08:10 (#4170974 - in reply to #4170886)
Subject: RE: Do you have a store close?

cropsey, il 61731
It's best to take a look at them and feel the drawer mechanism and latching if you need it. I have a SS Sam's club special which is really tall (almost can't use the top shelf) and it has worked really well (I think it was $650). To me there must be a lot of import box makers that have decided el cheapo drawers and too thin of sheet metal just won't sell in volume. These won't be anything like the MAC or Snapon boxes, but at some point you have question is 10x the price of the the HF box a representation of value or brand name. I would like my larger drawers to be a little stouter, but they are definitely good enough (even if it doesn't impress the 'chicks').
E718
Posted 11/11/2014 08:14 (#4170980 - in reply to #4170971)

Sac & Story county IA
Every farm truck glove box and every fuse box should have one of those meters by it. Not quality by any means but will work for awhile.
diemfarms
Posted 11/11/2014 08:14 (#4170982 - in reply to #4170931)

Mifflintown, PA
Yeah, another user of the first on here. Also know of almost a dozen other people that use them also. Best bang for buck.

The draw detents are a little soft and they may open during rolling around shop. Just something to note but would not keep me from buying more!
Old Pokey
Posted 11/11/2014 08:18 (#4170984 - in reply to #4170974)

I have the best of the best crap on "Mr Big". and it is highly over rated. All the snap on hand tools are over rated. And yes, I do have them and use them. But for a farmer, the smooth handles on the ratchets suck when your hands are greasy. The wrenches flex like mad. I get much better performance out of my SK, old Craftsman, and even the Titan stuff I have. In fact I just broke my 25" half drive breaker bar from snap on and used my 30" Titan ratchet to finish the job.

dvswia
Posted 11/11/2014 08:29 (#4170999 - in reply to #4170984)

sw corner ia.
if you watch craigs list you can find really nice tools/boxes cheaper than at the pawn shop. just takes time.
nhermanson
Posted 11/11/2014 08:31 (#4171004 - in reply to #4170984)

Central, IA
You looking to strip till an asphalt parking lot with that thing?
backroad
Posted 11/11/2014 08:48 (#4171030 - in reply to #4171004)

Arkansas
nhermanson - 11/11/2014 09:31

You looking to strip till an asphalt parking lot with that thing?

My thoughts exactly. Not to hijack a thread, but I want some details on that rig!
bharzman
Posted 11/11/2014 09:16 (#4171079 - in reply to #4171004)

North Central Kansas
I thought he was going to use it on the rock roads, that's a BEAST!
pjt
Posted 11/11/2014 09:19 (#4171081 - in reply to #4170974)

Princeton,IN
To those who are not familiar-different size HF boxes have different types of retainer systems to keep the door closed. Some are a rubber detent, just pull firmly and it opens. Others have a tab to move to open the door. For a shop box, they seem to be great value for the dollar.
4WD
Posted 11/11/2014 09:19 (#4171082 - in reply to #4170954)

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

The reviews, on that 56" top box weren't very good, because most complained about the "lack of height" on that top shelf, under the lid. = you can't put sockets up there, or the lid won't close.

I was at a store, 2 months ago, and looked at it, to see what everyone complained about, and that area wasn't very tall at all, maybe 1.5" or something ( I didn't have my tape measure with me) Not that sure, what to do with that area, if it is that shallow. Couple of service manuals, maybe.

evilboweivel
Posted 11/11/2014 09:39 (#4171112 - in reply to #4170886)

Lancaster, Ohio
when I bought my 44" bottom the checkout gal told me to buy the insider club as it was on sale for a better price there.
end result I am an insider member for 1 year and got the box for $10 less including the membership
efarm
Posted 11/11/2014 09:46 (#4171122 - in reply to #4170984)

Saskatchewan
I like your seat creeper in the back Of the pic. Way better than trying to sit on a layout one.
BIGASH Farms
Posted 11/11/2014 10:06 (#4171143 - in reply to #4170984)

MN

tell us more about the project. Looks like some kind of super heavy duty strip till . 

dvswia
Posted 11/11/2014 13:32 (#4171400 - in reply to #4171079)

sw corner ia.
he built that to stay in one piece. you should see it in person.
jakencks
Posted 11/11/2014 15:19 (#4171521 - in reply to #4170982)

+1 on first one. Use it in garage at home. Great for the price.
KMech
Posted 11/11/2014 20:37 (#4172159 - in reply to #4170984)

Missouri
Old Pokey - 11/11/2014 07:18

I have the best of the best crap on "Mr Big". and it is highly over rated. All the snap on hand tools are over rated. And yes, I do have them and use them. But for a farmer, the smooth handles on the ratchets suck when your hands are greasy. The wrenches flex like mad. I get much better performance out of my SK, old Craftsman, and even the Titan stuff I have. In fact I just broke my 25" half drive breaker bar from snap on and used my 30" Titan ratchet to finish the job.

As a professional mechanic, I have observed that in many (most?) cases, more snap on tools are owned for their value as status symbols than for the tool quality. It's kind of like driving an Escalade so you can smugly look down at the guy driving the Tahoe. Same engine, same transmission, same level of functional quality, but some guys will swear there's a meaningful difference...

Harbor freight has some decent stuff. I haven't used their toolboxes yet, but I've heard nothing but good things.
KMech
Posted 11/11/2014 20:47 (#4172183 - in reply to #4170980)

Missouri

E718 - 11/11/2014 07:14
Every farm truck glove box and every fuse box should have one of those meters by it. Not quality by any means but will work for awhile.

+ ∞   (You are my hero ;)

Preach it from the mountain tops, the word needs to get out there.  I don't know how many times a season I will field a phone call seeking phone troubleshooting of an electrical problem, I will ask the caller if he can take a multimeter and check the voltage between the red and black wires on the cable connector, and I get an, "Aw, shucks, I don't have none of them fancy tools."  This is usually followed by a, "No, I don't have a test light, either."   Seriously, I wonder what these people expect me to be able to accomplish.

DMM's are simple, common tools, and should be in any toolbox anywhere that one might need to troubleshoot electrical issues (i.e. anyone with a tractor).  They're free at Harbor Freight, they're $10 at Sears, and they're probably less than $20 most anywhere else.

farmb0y
Posted 11/12/2014 06:55 (#4172753 - in reply to #4172159)

EC IA

KMech - 11/11/2014 20:37

It's kind of like driving an Escalade so you can smugly look down at the guy driving the Tahoe. Same engine, same transmission, same level of functional quality, but some guys will swear there's a meaningful difference....

Hey now, I resemble that remark! At least my wife does. Escalades do offer the 6.0L engine which I understand isn't an option in a Tahoe, so I can smugly look down at the guy driving the Tahoe.... as I'm blowing past him with my bigger motor! lol  Not to mention the air ride is pretty nice. When shopping for an SUV, we bought this Escalade for less money than it'd take to get a Tahoe with the same miles, or even an expedition.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)