AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bulk tote bags
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

830rnvk
Posted 11/8/2014 11:46 (#4166604)
Subject: Bulk tote bags

South TX
I've seen bulk tote bags, never used them. I'm getting some wheat seed in next week, and part of the order is in the bulk totes. I feel that dumping into a tender then filling the drill would be best; but that will not be an option. I was told the tote can be dumped straight into the drill, but I'm not too sure on the idea; I've heard horror stories of not being able to shut the spout and the whole tote gets dumped.

My questions are: is there a good way to dump into the drill directly from the tote?...(I will be using a box drill). Any good ways of shutting the spout in order to not empty the whole tote?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Orfarmer
Posted 11/8/2014 12:19 (#4166635 - in reply to #4166604)
Subject: RE: Bulk tote bags

Roanoke, IN

Find a good sturdy pallet with 2 center boards spaced about 6" apart. Cut a hole for the spout. Keep the strings around the spout at all times with pressur on it. If you let the strings go, you'll never be able to shut it off. Its a lot of hassle and dangerous. I would borrow a tender or something.

iseedit
Posted 11/8/2014 12:32 (#4166661 - in reply to #4166604)

central - east central Minnesota -

830rnvk - 11/8/2014 11:46 I've seen bulk tote bags, never used them. I'm getting some wheat seed in next week, and part of the order is in the bulk totes. I feel that dumping into a tender then filling the drill would be best; but that will not be an option. I was told the tote can be dumped straight into the drill, but I'm not too sure on the idea; I've heard horror stories of not being able to shut the spout and the whole tote gets dumped. My questions are: is there a good way to dump into the drill directly from the tote?...(I will be using a box drill). Any good ways of shutting the spout in order to not empty the whole tote?

Totes are not made for metering out the grain - safely, without some apparatuses to work with the tote . . . Be very careful around totes and don't stack them, if they fall over (gravity) someones going to get hurt or DIE (been too many injuries and deaths from totes)

the above mentioned pallet works, BUT - you need a frame stout enough to support the tote/bag, as you dump. It would likely work best to improvise and make something up, like a large metal funnel, with support for the tote and some type of gate valve (like the back of a straight truck would have) that would allow you to open the bag and set it in the funnel then use pallet forks to position it over the drill to control the flow and fill.

Champ
Posted 11/8/2014 12:40 (#4166671 - in reply to #4166604)

Get yourself a pro-box. Its a big plastic square box with a builtin slide drain gate. Then dump your big bag into it then lift it from bottom to do whatever safely with nice controlled slide gate feature. Filling a drill with the sock of bag would be not fun. These also get you height to dump into a tender best and safest, you say you can't use tender though so you really need to be careful if loader fails and crushes someone ?
iseedit
Posted 11/8/2014 12:42 (#4166675 - in reply to #4166604)

central - east central Minnesota -

Here's a link with some ideas of the tote stands . . . .

https://www.google.com/search?q=bulk+bag+stand&biw=1093&bih=495&tbm=isch&imgil=wROEJRU8DBtdEM%253A%253BruCBvEnYC_psfM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.formpakinc.com%25252Fbulk-bag-equipment%25252Fbulk-bag-filling%25252Fbagpak-bbf-1000-dt&source=iu&pf=m&fir=wROEJRU8DBtdEM%253A%252CruCBvEnYC_psfM%252C_&usg=__31nKKkiFTWjisl-uZJh_0XkY7ag%3D

dalobe01
Posted 11/8/2014 13:42 (#4166716 - in reply to #4166604)

David Loberg Northeast Nebraska
I seeded about 25 bulk bags of wheat/rye this fall. My Valmar doesn't hold a whole bag, I'd dump it then it would stop flowing when it reached the fabric spout. I took two heavy duty 30" zip ties around the spout and with ppliers cinch it back shut. Take the spout beneath the cinch, folded it then cinched that to make sure didn't lose it. It takes good quality zip ties, not the bargain bin ones.
northeastmo
Posted 11/8/2014 14:30 (#4166753 - in reply to #4166716)

La Grange, MO
Locate 5 or 6 five gallon buckets cut the top out of the tote and start dipping hasn't failed me yet
krantz
Posted 11/8/2014 16:08 (#4166806 - in reply to #4166671)

NM
A lot of times a pro box won't hold all of a tote.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments (0KB - 297 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (114KB - 296 downloads)
loran
Posted 11/8/2014 18:59 (#4167008 - in reply to #4166604)

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175
Small pelican vise grip is what I used in the past.....

This the spout shut, clip the vise grip on.....
SEEDY
Posted 11/8/2014 22:20 (#4167371 - in reply to #4167008)

I dread the day we read about someone dying from having to get under one of these bags and having a failure.

As a dealer I reach under many a year but I try to stay safe with my actions.

Hopefully seed companies will soon move to all pro boxes.
behog
Posted 11/9/2014 08:57 (#4167870 - in reply to #4166604)

frederick, MD
I don't suggest spending lots of time hanging out under these bags. Besides the normal worry of a hydro line or something failing on the lifting machine you need to worry about the bag straps tearing.

Many seed producers will reuse bags. These bags are single use items. I have seen a bag strap tear free from the bag.

Many time operators of front end loaders like to pick the bags way up in the air without leveling the forks. This puts extrem strain on the straps.

After all the close calls I have seen I am careful.
Saw a planter sitting in the shop. We left for lunch and came back, it was on the ground. A Hyd hose blew apart.

Same thing once too with a manure spreader but this time the tire blew out. Would have crushed my man if he had been under it.

Please be careful.
830rnvk
Posted 11/9/2014 13:23 (#4168200 - in reply to #4166604)

South TX
Thanks for all the good ideas and thoughts everyone. I've debated things such as building a ply board box with a chute similar to a pro box; there's also a few chem totes around here I thought of cutting a top out and putting a chute/spout of some sort in one of those. Even thought of getting a few feet of light gauge metal pipe (6" or so) and fastening it to the bag spout so I'm not directly under it all the time while filling.

Like many have eluded to, that's a lot of weight in the air to be working around, and it will only be 3 bags I'm dealing with so I suppose that won't be too bad to empty by hand with buckets off the ground. I'm thinking once I get a bag 75-80% empty, maybe I'll have the nerve to handle it and empty into the drill. Some day I'll have a tender.
Outdoor Dave
Posted 11/9/2014 18:29 (#4168539 - in reply to #4167371)

SE Nebraska

I knew a guy in the business that had totes stacked three high in a warehouse. using a forklift to pull one he cut the bottom bag in the row next to him, and it dropped the top two on top of him and the forklift. Roll cage saved his life, but many broken bones and crush injuries.

Hate the things. 

tecbaggerguy
Posted 5/5/2024 09:04 (#10729254 - in reply to #4166604)

As mentioned in previous replies on this thread, unloading bulk feed and seed tote bags can be very dangerous.

If you plan on unloading many bulk tote bags regularly, I recommend an unloader with an integrated lifting cage (and operator platform above the hopper if you plan on repackaging / down packing into smaller bags). This allows you to safely lift, transport, and unload safely.

Here's a link to an article about this type of set up:

https://www.tinsleycompany.com/unload-bulk-feed-tote-bags-into-an-op...

A traditional bulk tote unloader with an integrated lifting hoist and bag iris valve could also work well, but you still have to transport the bulk tote using the lifting straps which can break after repeated use.
Tim swMN
Posted 5/5/2024 10:08 (#10729331 - in reply to #4166604)

Hendricks MN
https://www.fledbag.com/

Get one of these if your filling a box drill. Not cheap but easier then cleaning up spilled seed.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)