AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Could I have found a bird repellent?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 4/15/2008 10:06 (#358459)
Subject: Could I have found a bird repellent?

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

Not saying I know this works, just sharing something for others to try who are as desperate as I have been to keep birds out of problem areas.

I have always heard that grease would keep birds away, and have tried a lot of things in the machine shed that have been suggested, such as hanging plastic snakes and owls from the rafters.  I did the rid-a-bird thing, was really a mess when it crusted over and birds kicked the stuff down in the shed and made a bigger mess.  What I have always searched for was a clean substance to use to avoid bird mess where I didn't want them.

Last spring we had birds roosting on the windowsills, made a real mess down the wall where our courtyard was, quite an eyesore.  I found some old wind chimes and hung over the windows, now have been two years bird free in that area.  Might be an accident, might be a solution.

Also had trouble with a big outside clock that had a wrought-iron frame around it.  Birds would nest in the outside frame, mess up the clock face so you couldn't read the time.  I cannot remember for sure what I sprayed on the frame, but I believe it was WD-40, no more birds that year.  This spring it dug out a new nest, first thing I found was Armor-All spray that we use to polish the dash on the car.  Been about three weeks, we see birds going to the clock with grass in their beaks, land, then turn away without nesting.

Hope these two ideas give someone ideas of ways to try to keep the birds from nesting.  I don't mind killing pest birds, but have always hated the possibility of killing a mockingbird.  (Remember the book and movie, "To Kill A Mockingbird"?  Was a big movie in the 1960's.)

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Pokey
Posted 4/15/2008 15:08 (#358609 - in reply to #358459)
Subject: RE: Could I have found a bird repellent?

Thanks. Never heard the armor-all one. Neighbor lady just told me to try a disinfectant spray or wash on the mirrors of any rigs that the birds land on. She said they dont care for the smell. ? Might have to give it a try also. Some folks use concord grape juice sprayed on their blueberries to repell pest birds...........till the next irrigation. They say it has to be concord grape, dunno why, just what I've heard works.

I too dont wish to kill song birds or little birds that dont bother. They're a pleasant sound to hear sometimes. The starlings on the other hand, and some of the scrub jays, I really could'nt care less if they became extinct.
John SD
Posted 4/15/2008 18:36 (#358681 - in reply to #358609)
Subject: I bet Hagenbrew would be a good bird repellent....

And if it didn't they would all turn into Cukoos from the fumes LOL!
mdean
Posted 4/15/2008 19:22 (#358698 - in reply to #358681)
Subject: Re: Could I have found a bird repellent?

Ontario
Haven't tried this myself yet but I was told to stretch a few strands of fish line in thier flight path (like the top of a door opening or between pilers on a porch). They don't see it and don't like when they fly into it.
billybob
Posted 4/16/2008 03:42 (#359012 - in reply to #358459)
Subject: RE: Could I have found a bird repellent?

My mother fought birds by here roll up outdoor shade thing for years.  Then she remembered how they would hang alum. foil plates in trees to keep them from eating the fruit.  She did the same near her nesting problem.  No more birds. 
bharzman
Posted 4/16/2008 12:03 (#359242 - in reply to #359012)
Subject: Re: Could I have found a bird repellent?

North Central Kansas
we did something similar in our garden.
old cd's. either ones that are scratched up, or those dumb free ones from aol and such you get in the mail.
hang from a tree with fishing string. The bright light reflects off and makes em scatter.
That worked great in my apple & cherry trees
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)