AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Changing fuel filter on GMC Duramax engine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Unit 2
Posted 3/20/2008 07:13 (#337707)
Subject: Changing fuel filter on GMC Duramax engine

I'm going to service my at work GMC pick-up with the Duramax engine today. When you change the fuel filter do you fill the new one with fuel before you put it on, or do you put it on dry? When I had my own Ford Power Stroke I could do all these things with my eyes closed but I can see myself kind of fumbling around things on this GMC pick-up today. TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gsman
Posted 3/20/2008 07:23 (#337714 - in reply to #337707)
Subject: RE: Changing fuel filter on GMC Duramax engine

SE North Dakota
I just put mine on dry and then loosen the plastic bleed screw on top of the filter housing and pump the hand pump until fuel comes out the bleeder.  There is a water in filter sensor screwed into the bottom of the filter that you have to unplug and move the sensor to the new filter, just be careful not to break it, its plastic. :^(
Unit 2
Posted 3/20/2008 07:42 (#337721 - in reply to #337714)

Thanks gsman! Where is the hand pump at?
gsman
Posted 3/20/2008 07:45 (#337724 - in reply to #337721)

SE North Dakota
Its right on top of the filter housing.
dmaxdiesel
Posted 3/20/2008 08:05 (#337733 - in reply to #337707)

Sutherland, IA
I would go ahead and fill up the filter to reduce the amount of hand pumping. I always take out the passenger side wheel well liner to make things easy. I have an electric lift pump on my truck so I put it on dry turn the key on and open the bleed screw. Use a socket on the bleed screw instead of the screwdriver. After many times with a screwdriver that plastic slot will get worn out.
E718
Posted 3/20/2008 08:31 (#337754 - in reply to #337707)
Subject: Re: Changing fuel filter on GMC Duramax engine

Sac & Story county IA
"I always take out the passenger side wheel well liner to make things easy. "
Now that is a piece of engineering.
Beach Farmer
Posted 3/20/2008 09:16 (#337800 - in reply to #337733)

East Central MN
I just changed the filter on my '04 Duramax and it sure is a pain to get to. Is there an easy way to remove the wheel well liner? I looked at the clips holding it in and decided that the frustration of getting to the filter from above was easier than breaking a couple of those clips. Granted it was a little raw outside that day I changed it so I wasn't going to spend any more time than I needed to.

As far as priming, I've put mine in dry and it doesn't take too many pumps on the primer to get it filled. You're right on the plastic bleed screw, it's too bad it isn't metal instead. It's nice that you don't have to bleed the system very often though.

dmaxdiesel
Posted 3/20/2008 09:31 (#337809 - in reply to #337800)

Sutherland, IA
If you go to autozone or similar store there is a wedge like tool on the end of a screwdriver handle that I think they call a clip remover or something. I bought one of these and it really makes pulling those clips out easy and have yet to destroy one with it. I work on these trucks often so the $5 tool was a cheap investment for me. Someone makes a metal bleed screw to replace the cheap plastic bleed screw with.
Stonetown Steve
Posted 3/20/2008 09:35 (#337815 - in reply to #337754)

St Marys Ontario
I take out passenger side battery on my 03.
SD-455
Posted 3/20/2008 09:36 (#337817 - in reply to #337707)

Northeast Indiana (Auburn)
If you go to the www.dieselplace.com web site and check out the "sticky" at the top of the third generation page it will walk you thru the process. What year of truck do you have? The 2006 and later models I remove the air intake to get to the filter. There is two hose clamps holding it on. You can change it from the top. I put mine on dry. It takes about ten strokes to get fuel out the bleed screw. Once fuel comes out I snug the screw tight as I push the primer down, this will get the last of the air out. The hardest part of the job for me is getting the sensor wire unpluged. By the way make sure the old gaskets are off the housing. These filters only have about one turn until they get snug.
Mike Shimek
Posted 3/20/2008 10:31 (#337864 - in reply to #337707)
Subject: You're doing it the hard way....

High Springs, Florida
If you just bend one of the A/C lines slightly, you do not have to remove anything. That is what I did on my 03. Not sure what the newer trucks look like under the hood, so this may not work.

It is not recommended that you fill the filter with fuel before installing it. The reason is that there is a possibility of getting some dirt or contamination on the "clean" side of the filter. You don't want ANY kind of dirt getting to those injectors.

Eric Merchant over on the dieselplace.com website sells SS bleeder screws. I think they are around $14.

Edited by Mike Shimek 3/20/2008 10:33
dutch
Posted 3/20/2008 13:40 (#337972 - in reply to #337864)
Subject: Right on!! DO NOT FILL!!

West Texas

As Mike states, do not fill the filter up with fuel before putting it on. You do and it send unfiltered fuel thru the injectors. That goes for any diesel unless you have a John Deere 20 series tractor that comes with the special funnel to pre-fill them. On my 2002 Duramax I don't take anything off to get to the filter.Just nudge the AC lines a bit out of the way and it's fairly easy to get to. I change it every other oil change.

Loosen bleed screw, pump until fuel with no air come out, tighten bleed screw, pump it a few more times. Will crank right up for me every time.  

Edited by dutch 3/20/2008 13:42
jakencks
Posted 3/20/2008 14:03 (#337983 - in reply to #337707)

Not a big deal from the top, might have bent the A/C lines slightly, but much less trouble than removing the inner fender IMO.
Chad H
Posted 3/20/2008 18:14 (#338075 - in reply to #337864)
Subject: RE: You're doing it the hard way....

NE SD
Agreed! I went to NAPA and bought a flexible handle band type filter wrench. It only takes a half dozen pumps with the hand pump. I know I can change mine in under 5 minutes. I've done it.
pointrow
Posted 3/20/2008 19:28 (#338105 - in reply to #337733)
Subject: DMaxdiesel: Why do you have a lift pump?

Central Il Morton
Is that for a secondary fuel tank?

Thanks
pointrow
Unit 2
Posted 3/20/2008 20:34 (#338148 - in reply to #337707)

Thanks for all the hints guys. I did take out the wheel well liner this first time. Those clips were easy to get out after I figured out how they come out.
dmaxdiesel
Posted 3/21/2008 07:50 (#338449 - in reply to #338105)
Subject: RE: DMaxdiesel: Why do you have a lift pump?

Sutherland, IA
Need all the fuel i can get! That's the wife by the way.

Edited by dmaxdiesel 3/21/2008 07:52

(b-lizfall06 015.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments b-lizfall06 015.JPG (102KB - 112 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)