AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ritchie bros auction
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Johndar
Posted 4/26/2014 06:03 (#3836904)
Subject: Ritchie bros auction

Geraldton,Western Australia
Hi,

Could you people,from canada,and the USA ,tell me your first thoughts when you think of machinery in an auction.. Do you think there's a dark past with the equipment in there. Maybe a dealer won't trade,or give very little,because they know the history..

Or it's a good place to buy equipment,at a cheaper price..

Do they take stock out of one area,to another far away ...

Thanks . I'm thinking you are enjoying the warmer days..
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark (EC,IN)
Posted 4/26/2014 06:19 (#3836919 - in reply to #3836904)
Subject: RE: Ritchie bros auction

Schlegel Farms, Hagerstown Indiana
I think an auction could be all the above.

I will say if its' good equipment it will bring what it's worth (not cheaper).

I've seen things at a retirement auction bring more than dealer asking price, and in some cases more than new price.

A consignment auction, I think it's just a handy way for some farmers to get rid of an item with out the hassle of dealing with phone calls an showing the item like is necessary with a classified ad.
Byron ECIN
Posted 4/26/2014 07:07 (#3836989 - in reply to #3836919)

United States
I like attending and buying from a farmer retiring auction, I have found good used machinery well cared for. At consignment auctions you may still find nice equipment, but harder to tell how it's been maintained. Just my thoughts.
Byron Ecin
Trint
Posted 4/26/2014 07:32 (#3837031 - in reply to #3836904)

North Central OH
No experience with their ag sales, but I did inspect several skid steers at construction sales and they were hit or miss many were rough or wouldn't start.
mafrif
Posted 4/26/2014 07:41 (#3837049 - in reply to #3836904)

NC Iowa
Bought a newer john deere from Ritchie's, was 10 of 10 condition, still had factory extended warranty, was a nice tractor, saved 70k over identical tractor at dealer. If you are looking at something newer, I wouldn't be too worried, older stuff you never know what you are buying. I'm sure someone on agtalk could look it over for you.
prttimefarmer
Posted 4/26/2014 07:57 (#3837082 - in reply to #3836904)

NW Minnesota
If you dig a little you should be able to find the history on a lot of auction equipment, dealers might not always want to give you that info but I have found most to be fairly accommodating.
casemanwcoh
Posted 4/26/2014 08:21 (#3837124 - in reply to #3836904)

I live right down the road from one of their yards, have even worked a few sales there. Most of the time the equipment here is companies going out of business or stuff they are replacing. Most of it is fairly well used, but some newer stuff does come in. It's really a place to do your due dilligance before buying. They do clean everything up and in some cases put a coat of paint on.
Farmboy686
Posted 4/26/2014 08:32 (#3837136 - in reply to #3837124)

It is hit or miss. You have to bid accordingly , if a engine let go or trans lets go, you need to save enuf to make it worth while. But like others have said some good iron goes there. The small stuff I would stay away from ... or maybe thats just the crap I have bought in the past. None of it works now, most didn't work when I bought it lol. But saving 80k on a bigger buy thats still on factory warranty seems like a great buy.
Paul VDB
Posted 4/26/2014 09:57 (#3837235 - in reply to #3836904)

Burgessville, Ontario
Some dealers here in Ontario are having auctions once a year to clean up old inventory with no trades. Auctions are always buyer beware, but with the internet and serial numbers you can find a huge amount of information these days!
northmofarm
Posted 4/26/2014 09:58 (#3837238 - in reply to #3836904)

It's uaually dealers wanting to move used equipment. They would rather sell for less at auction then give one local farmer a big discount and have him go talk about the great deal he got at the coffee shop. I always figure what I would pay minus the cost of a major repair. I can also travel 2 states away and buy used equipment pretty reasonable and the guy 2 states away can come here and do the same. It's called the John Deere motto.
Galen
Posted 4/26/2014 15:28 (#3837575 - in reply to #3837238)

NE, KS
I bought a two year old 9770 at a rb auction. It's been good save 50-70k
mike,ohio
Posted 4/26/2014 19:53 (#3837834 - in reply to #3837575)

ohio
Ritchie bros came in to our local JD dealer that has several stores and bought all there used inventory.They had a bunch of late model JD stuff.
PeteMN
Posted 4/26/2014 23:19 (#3838231 - in reply to #3837238)

E.Central MN
I think the main reason for dealers preferring to sell their well used equipment at a consignment sale is to get away from having to warranty it at least that's what a few dealers have told me. When I asked why they don't just say its "as is" and sell it at a lower price, they say that some customers don't know what "as is" means and will whine about every little thing so they end up fixing it anyway if it sells on their lot. I thought that was a little hard to believe until I got to know some of their customers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)