AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sleep number beds
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

swia
Posted 4/5/2014 06:38 (#3798053)
Subject: sleep number beds

Thinking about a new mattress and thinking about a sleep number one. I have had back problems of and on and wonder if a firmer bed would help? That way if I want firm and wife wants a softer feel we are both getting what we want. Anybody have one or had one to tell the good, and bad about these things? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
greencountry
Posted 4/5/2014 06:43 (#3798061 - in reply to #3798053)
Subject: RE: sleep number beds

southern nebraska
Sounds like my wife, I want it firm and she wants it soft.
KF Farm
Posted 4/5/2014 07:20 (#3798130 - in reply to #3798061)

Central Missouri
We had one. It was great at first. Junk at 4 - 6 years. Then we got a memory foam. Great at 1st then junk after a year. We gave a strains and foster spring mattress now. Much better. The sterns and foster has a new spring design that is much different than the old days. And there are varying differences in the springs. All are Much improved over the old spring mattresses. .
Brassring
Posted 4/5/2014 07:27 (#3798135 - in reply to #3798130)

St.Clair Co. IL.
on my second one, had a queen size at first with all the bells and whistles, wife thought we needed it to tilt and lift well after a few yrs. of two not so small people in a queen size we gave up and bought a king size plain jane, I like it wife likes a softer bed and I like mine firm, I have had one five six yrs. and have no complaints, kind of pricey but if ya watch you can catch them on sale. but all said I like ours. Bob
ridgefarmer
Posted 4/5/2014 07:36 (#3798163 - in reply to #3798135)

Pontiac IL
Have one , probably not again. Wife hates it I'm not thrilled
dairyman78
Posted 4/5/2014 07:47 (#3798195 - in reply to #3798053)

S.C. Wisconsin
We have had good spring mattresses, water bed and now the air bed both in our house and motor home. We like the air beds and don't think we would ever go back to the former options. My opinion is don't get the pillow top as it will start to get nesting area's in it. Each person can set their firmness to their liking with the air beds. If I have my setting to soft my back will be sore and if it's to firm I have trouble with my arm going to sleep. So each person has to find their comfort zone. If you go on line there are other options besides Select Comfort.

Edited by dairyman78 4/5/2014 07:48
Bim Bam
Posted 4/5/2014 07:48 (#3798197 - in reply to #3798053)

central mn
Have hade one for over 10 years. Overall pleased. Seldom change settings but nice to be able to tweak with occasional back flare up. Only complaint is remote control lost number screen, so have to adjust by feel.
Mark (EC,IN)
Posted 4/5/2014 07:53 (#3798213 - in reply to #3798061)

Schlegel Farms, Hagerstown Indiana
greencountry - 4/5/2014 06:43

Sounds like my wife, I want it firm and she wants it soft.

LoL
Illinois Steve
Posted 4/5/2014 07:55 (#3798219 - in reply to #3798053)

North Central Illinois
We have one and I highly recommend it. We slept on a waterbed for over twenty years. I never slept any better than what I did on that water bed but I battled back problems off and on. Sometimes pretty serious. Never made the connection until I was visiting with my chiropractor and he told me to get rid of the waterbed immediately. I thought he was full of it but I took his advice. After looking at several options we settled on the Sleep Number. We ignored any of the memory foam products because we heard they are hot. My brother and his wife had a temperapedic or whatever they are called and they hated it. It was hot and they basically slept in a hole. They are small people too. So anyway six years later with our Sleep Number and I have had not one issue with my back and not one problem with the bed. It did take us a while to get used to it but once we got the settings right and got used to not having the waterbed we love it.
minnmc
Posted 4/5/2014 08:17 (#3798273 - in reply to #3798219)

west central MN
we have had one for twenty years. Started with a queen size and went to a king about ten years ago. Love the beds. We did not get the pillow top because I felt it takes away from the air bed feel.
redgreenandrust
Posted 4/5/2014 08:42 (#3798333 - in reply to #3798273)

thumb of michigan
Closing in on 20 years for mine now. Numerous back injuries over they years and it really seems to help. Whenever I am on vacation my back hurts in the morning if I am on a normal bed. It had a mildew problem in the top cover but they replaced it under an upgrade program and they overcame that issue. I have a 2 inch memory foam topper on it and that works real well too. Not hot and it still gives the cradle effect. Mine has the single bladder in it so I will be getting a new mattress so the wife can adjust he side as needed. If you sleep alone and in the middle of the bed the dual chamber beds can leave you in a bit of a hole is the only complaint I had, but getting the single bladder cured that. I am a big man and the bed has held up very well. The only real wear item was the foam on the edge compressed some over the years from exiting the bed from the same spot over and over, but those are replaceable.
JoBob
Posted 4/5/2014 08:48 (#3798352 - in reply to #3798053)

West Central Wisconsin
IMHO they're not worth the high price. I will admit it did help my back but the quality wasn't there. Bought our king-size after my last back surgery and used it 8 years. Plastic side panels broke, numbers quit displaying and it started leaking back through the controller. Every few days when I went to pump it up to my number I had no number to look at. It's in a spare bedroom now and we bought a throw-away mattress until we find one we like. I've heard lots of good about the Stearns & Foster. Joe
Hotwire
Posted 4/5/2014 08:56 (#3798368 - in reply to #3798352)

WC Ohio
We have a plain jane dual chamber Comfort Aire bed and love it - would not buy any other type of bed. They are a bit lower in price if you don't get all the bells and whistles - which IMHO aren't really needed.
Just my two cents. Good luck and it's not an easy decision to make.

Mrs. Hotwire and Mr Hotwire would agree.
the_kernal
Posted 4/5/2014 09:20 (#3798425 - in reply to #3798219)

My story is ditto to NC Ill. except we had the water bed for 30 years. After back surgery last December I couldn't get out of the H2O bed because of the 2X8 board around the water bladder. We have only had the Sleep Number for a short time so are still getting used to it -- king size, double bladder. BTW the back surgery was because of my occupation (farmer) not the water bed......

The reason we had the water bed so long is my wife loved the heated water in that bed. We tried the sleep number for a couple weeks then bought the electric heated matress cover. Now we are both happy. The heated cover is also double controled and I get too hot, so never turn on the heater on my side.
Burgess159
Posted 4/5/2014 12:22 (#3798697 - in reply to #3798053)

Troy, Missouri
I got one back pry 7 months ago and I like it a lot. They had some big sale going on which was why I looked into it more. I tend to have back problems too, that and I would toss and turn all night on my spring mattress (granted, it needed replaced, but still). I think I got one of the P Series beds. I kind of thought a more firm bed would help me too, but then I went to the store and the salesmen informed me that the sleep number beds do a better job of keeping your spine in alignment, along with taking pressure off of you, say if you like to sleep on your side a lot like I do. I got the fancy pillow too, not sure what it's called, but it looks like a wave. It's very comfortable and helps with the alignment deal.

I'm pleased with mine, I'd recommend it.
lylefarm
Posted 4/5/2014 12:56 (#3798749 - in reply to #3798053)

East of Dowagiac Michigan
Use a surge protector on the compressor......they cost plenty.
ezzard
Posted 4/5/2014 17:21 (#3799069 - in reply to #3798130)

SE IA
Same here KF farm. We loved it at first, now it's in my boy's room.
Reyem
Posted 4/5/2014 17:35 (#3799082 - in reply to #3798053)

SW IA
We have had one several years we like sleeping on it but it is starting to nest. They offered us a new top cover for between 2 and 3 hundred dollars. Don't know if we want to spend it or not.
tebowtime
Posted 4/5/2014 21:10 (#3799429 - in reply to #3798053)

NW Kosciusko County
I have had one for 3 years now and like it. It really helped me with my lower back problems. Sleep with it set on 90. Don't wake up stiff and sore anymore.

The first compressor leaked air back thru it and they replaced it for free. No problems with the second compressor. The bed is worth the investment in my opinion.
bnobles
Posted 4/6/2014 05:35 (#3799748 - in reply to #3799429)

Qulin, MO
My wife and I got one as a wedding gift from her parents 6 years ago. We really like it. We haven't had any problems with ours. Her parents also have one. They had problems with mildew between the mattress top and the bladder. She called select comfort the other day and they said it had a lifetime warranty and they would get them a new cover and foam right away. Got it in about 2 days. I would suggest if you have had problems with your select comfort, to give the company a call.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)