AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sandblaster for farm?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Larry in AB
Posted 3/15/2014 13:09 (#3755176)
Subject: Sandblaster for farm?

Alberta, Canada
Hey does anyone have a decent size sandblaster on the farm? If so what kind and how much investement was it?

I typically do a little painting on stuff every year and often need stuff blasted so I take it down to a guy I know and at $120 an hr it adds up in a hurry. But cost is not so much the issue.... its the bloody inconvenience of it all! As I have to haul the part or "equipment" down there then haul it home and so forth. Before I never thought it would be worth it and just paid someone to do it but man it sure would be handier and save a lot of time. The blasting system he has is some old thing (but works great) so I was thinking a used unit of some sort could be found that would work for what I want it for.

I have a little pressure pot that runs off the shop compressor but thats only good for little things and touch ups. Any serious blasting its pointless.

Edited by Larry in AB 3/15/2014 13:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Haleiwa
Posted 3/15/2014 13:28 (#3755197 - in reply to #3755176)
Subject: RE: Sandblaster for farm?

West Chazy, New York

I've got one that came out of military surplus. I checked and there are none listed now, but that can change every week.  Like everything you get there, I had to do some repairs, but it is without question worth having one in the shop.  Once you get one you find lots of places to use it.  It is especially nice when you are welding something that has rust on it; a clean metal welds much nicer.  Here's a link to a company that sells both cabinets and the supplies to make your own.  They show plans for a plywood cabinet, but I personally would want to make it out of metal.  Like most shop tools, bigger is better.  You can work on small items in a big cabinet, but not the other way around.

Larry in AB
Posted 3/15/2014 13:45 (#3755225 - in reply to #3755197)

Alberta, Canada
Oh yeah those cabinets are handy too but I'm talk'n about something "bigger" like engine driven pump for a blaster you could blast farm equipment, trailers and so forth with.
scott nelsen
Posted 3/15/2014 15:26 (#3755360 - in reply to #3755225)

Leeds, North Dakota
Larry, shop around, can buy 85 to 100 cfm compressors pretty reasonable, make one hell of a mess, sand all over, need to wear good protection, also nice for blowing combines off, Scott.
SR71
Posted 3/15/2014 16:27 (#3755451 - in reply to #3755176)

ECMN
I have a 300 pound Clemco blast pot that I bought last year for 500 bucks. I had to buy a
new nozzle, blast hose and a twin line hose so that added a bunch to the price.. I haven't had
a chance to use it a lot but it works well.
I am using coal slag from ATI in Woodbury MN it is very cheap and works well. I also
purchased a blast suit from Nova it cost a lot of money but my lungs sure do like it.
Make sure you have a big compressor these things eat a ton of air.
ryan123
Posted 3/15/2014 16:58 (#3755481 - in reply to #3755451)

I have the one 100 pound one from princess auto. Did a few modes to it like welding a plug in top were that cheap drop valve is. My compressor is rated at 27.5 cfm at 175 it keeps up to everything but the 1/4 nozzle not bad. I can use 1/4 just have to wait for compressor to build a lot . I use sand from Home Depot (4.99 a bag) did the side of grain truck yesterday 4 bags of sand took about a hour total. After using it I'm not sure a guy couldn't take a old vertical compressor tank and build a really nice one himself. Just buy the hose and drop valve from princess
TractorAddict
Posted 3/15/2014 17:38 (#3755538 - in reply to #3755176)

West of Broken Bow
There was a biggun for sale at a sandblasting business. It must've been custom made and looked very nice. Didn't stop to look at it. Think it had tandam axles and a covered top. I can try and find the name of the business and ask them even if they already sold it. Would be neat to know the specs.
Josh in Pa
Posted 3/15/2014 19:02 (#3755700 - in reply to #3755176)

s.e. Pa
Google Texas blaster. I use a similar but homemade one. Very simple but works good. You will need a good compressor, at least 100 cfm. 100 cfm or better and 1/4" nozzle will blast really well. And with the bigger nozzle you don't have to be as particular with the sand.
Josh
Thud
Posted 3/15/2014 19:21 (#3755734 - in reply to #3755176)

Near-north Ontario, French River
The blaster you can build yourself, not hard at all, the expensive part of making a 'good' blaster is having a good compressor behind it. I made our own blaster out of an old 100lb propane cylinder, purchased the hose,nozzle and a few pipe fittings.Search the web, there are all kinds of plans for building your own, big and small. One option you might consider is building your own blaster and renting a big screw compressor when you want to tackle big jobs.
ohiocutter
Posted 3/15/2014 20:18 (#3755856 - in reply to #3755176)

I bought a norton awhile back and it is great. 185 cfm compressor has many other uses so I won't count that cost. Blaster is rated in mll scale removal per hour, the higher the number the better. Unit i bought was like $4000 decked out. Bought like the third from the cheapest. Make sure you get a helmet with air supply. When got mine they offered a kit with a "cool tube". Turns out it uses a Venturi effect to cool incoming air from compressor to keep head from getting hot. BEST part of the $4000 spent. Helmet has tear away face shield and is a good setup.
Lex560R
Posted 3/15/2014 20:21 (#3755863 - in reply to #3755176)

Northwestern IL
We have one. It is a 300 LBS Clemco pressure pot, Air supplied Bullard helmet, And A 185 CFM Ingersoll rand air compressor. We use it a lot. we just used it yesterday to blast some parts off of a 4020. It is very handy to have one on the farm. Because you can blast anytime you want to.
Drilldo
Posted 3/15/2014 20:40 (#3755906 - in reply to #3755863)

Texas
We have a Texas blaster and like it. Tried running it from shop compressor with mixed results. It runs great when connected to our 210 cfm diesel compressor.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)