AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn burning stoves
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MontanaRed
Posted 1/5/2014 20:05 (#3577186)
Subject: Corn burning stoves

SE montana
I'm looking at corn stoves, to replace a wood stove, can you go right to the bin and get the corn or does it have to be cleaned first, also can you burn 17-18 percent corn ok? What brands do you guys have and like?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
greasegun
Posted 1/5/2014 20:14 (#3577243 - in reply to #3577186)
Subject: Re: Corn burning stoves

W.C. Mo.
St Croiux. corn stove. does not have to clean or dry BUT a lot of dirt can cause problems and the dryer the better/hotter it burns,
bike across Iowa
Posted 1/5/2014 20:16 (#3577252 - in reply to #3577186)
Subject: RE: Corn burning stoves

Charles City. Iowa
Look at Bixby corn stove they were a great stove. You buy new on Kbid. For $700. They where $3,200 new 5 years ago. Model 115 was the last I seen.
98mxz583
Posted 1/5/2014 20:17 (#3577259 - in reply to #3577186)

Traverse City MI
I have a Cumberland and I think they over rate the BTU's it's rated for. I burn bin run corn. It can be a little more work if the corn is dirty but it will burn it.
hihowRya
Posted 1/5/2014 20:22 (#3577280 - in reply to #3577186)

NEIA
Son has a St. Croix. No moving parts. Starts with wood pellets or cardboard.
Just helped him move a plastic barrel (maybe 10 bu.) yesterday.
Dipped buckets from an almost empty bin.
He has burned 18% corn in prior years.
Like most anything the better the quality of the corn the better things work.
hesston8465a
Posted 1/5/2014 20:27 (#3577307 - in reply to #3577186)

Parsons Kansas
My mom has an American Harvest corn stove. Built by US Stove company. Had it for about 4 years or so. We do just buy corn for it right out of the field. Just store it in a gravity wagon under a shed.

One problem is pieces of corn stalk being in the corn and getting the auger stuck in the stove. The cleaner the corn the better off you are but like I said it was straight out of the combine.

I don't know if it will burn 17 to 18% moisture or not. Wettest corn we have ever put through it was 15%. I also understand we are in a much different climate then you are.

It replaced a wood stove and was a great move for mom. She had a hard time loading the stove with wood and was scared of the sparks when she opened the door. Wood pieces were heavy for her to handle also. She can fill the corn stove with a little pail and it won't be too much weight for her to handle and I'll fill it with a 5 gallon bucket. It still gets filled she just has to make a few more trips. She has a little box on the back porch that may hold 10 bushel or so and that will last her about a week and a half. May hold a little more then that. It will burn about 3 to 4 five gallon buckets of corn in a 24hr period. Mom likes her house warm! That's fine whatever makes her happy.

She had it when corn was about 8$ per bushel and that hurt when she bought her "corn for the winter" but she was still glad she had it and was not sorry one bit about burning corn. She will burn about 90 bushel per winter now that I think about it.

I do know when we build our new house it will have a corn furnace in it. Hope this helps. Good luck and stay warm. Darren
a4t-1600
Posted 1/5/2014 20:32 (#3577343 - in reply to #3577307)

Dearfield Co.
watch this thing as it will warp the door in the middle of the night and fill the house with smoke.We went thru 3 of them before the company bought us out of the last one
sodfarmer
Posted 1/5/2014 20:32 (#3577345 - in reply to #3577259)

I have 2 Amaizablaze or the same as Snowflame one is 15 plus years old been very simple and reliable stove. It does not have autoignition. I bought a new multifuel US Stove this year, I had problems getting it to burn clean corn. I returned it and bought a new Amaizablaze off EBay.
david ecpa
Posted 1/5/2014 20:42 (#3577399 - in reply to #3577186)

ecpa
I used a Magnum Countryside for 10 yrs. We about wore it out so I moved it to the shop for heat. We now use a ST Crouix to burn our corn. I will say the St crouix is more touchy as to the moisture, I dry mine down to 13% so the wife can run the stove with less hassel. It might be a "here" thing but it will not burn 15% corn for me.

The countryside will burn field run corn at 16% with no problem. The countryside has a stirrer in the firebox that helps burn the corn completely. It makes more btu's per bushel of corn. Of the two I like the countryside better. Both require electric power to operate. One draw back to the countryside is the fly ash created by the stirrer, it needs to be confined once it is outside the house. Good Comfy Heating for both.
craigseia
Posted 1/5/2014 20:46 (#3577425 - in reply to #3577343)

fairfield ia
Work for a seed corn company. We heat our bagging room and grading tower with an a-maze-ing corn burner. We burn mostly our out of date seedcorn. Works great as it is dried down to 12%. We also sell some untreated discard corn. Pretty popular when corn is lower.
a4t-1600
Posted 1/5/2014 21:10 (#3577535 - in reply to #3577399)

Dearfield Co.
We had the Bixby to replace the american stove disaster and it would burn 18 or 19% corn but it didnt like a bunch of fines or dirt.I dont even know if you can still get them or not
mjl
Posted 1/5/2014 21:35 (#3577663 - in reply to #3577186)

MN
The cleaner and dryer the corn, the more you will like the stove.
david ecpa
Posted 1/5/2014 21:41 (#3577694 - in reply to #3577535)

ecpa
I had to look up american harvest stoves, they are not made by american energy. Looks like a nice copy of a Countryside by American energy. Never had a warpage problelm. Bixby is said to be good corn stove. Never tried one.
Badger
Posted 1/5/2014 22:33 (#3577898 - in reply to #3577186)

Huntley Montana
As close as you are to coal @ $50 a ton, & you want to burn corn @ $150 a ton?
MontanaRed
Posted 1/5/2014 22:50 (#3577953 - in reply to #3577898)

SE montana
I have coal in the shops, but it's a little dirty for the house.
Badger
Posted 1/5/2014 22:54 (#3577964 - in reply to #3577953)

Huntley Montana
I've got a outside stoker boiler furnace & just send hot water into the shop. Am planning on using it for the house when I build.
Belray
Posted 1/5/2014 22:55 (#3577969 - in reply to #3577953)

East Central Iowa
Mine is a American Harvest in the basement and use it mostly when we are going to be down there on weekends or really cold like NOW. It will burn 18% corn and the fines don't seem to matter. The only thing that stopped the auger was an occasional rock that was swept up when filling the bin and I didn't catch it filling the stove hopper. I look a little closer now.
MontanaRed
Posted 1/5/2014 22:57 (#3577975 - in reply to #3577964)

SE montana
That will work good, we use an inside stoker for the shops with floor heat, absolutely love it.
Navinr
Posted 1/5/2014 23:13 (#3578010 - in reply to #3577969)

Mn
Country side magnum lasted about two years before a hole developed in heat exchanger. No company support. They used poor steel for a couple years and did not want to stand behind their warranty.
boa628
Posted 1/5/2014 23:39 (#3578062 - in reply to #3577186)

SWOH
I've had a St.Croix Auburn for about 10 years now, the only problem I've had with it is the combustion fan went out one night and filled the living room with smoke. Other than that I've been happy with it. From my experience the drier the corn the better...and the cleaner the better. I've never broke an auger but it sounds horrible when it gets something jammed in it. And it seems the flame snuffs out a little if there's a lot of fines or dust. One downside to a corn stove is if the power goes out, it'll fill the house up with smoke...when they shut down with power they run the fan for quite a while after the auger shuts down to give the smoke a chance to go outside, but if the fan quits or the power goes out it gets smokey real fast. They make a battery backup system for corn and pellet stoves just for that very reason but I don't recall what they are or the cost. Also make sure it's an actual corn stove or biofuel stove that can burn corn...the pots are different than a pellet stove and if you use a pellet stove for corn you'll melt the pot. I start mine with pellets and a little bit of rubbing alcohol.

Like I said, mine is about 10 years old...I'm sure they've added some things here and there since then to make them "better".
NoTill1825
Posted 1/5/2014 23:40 (#3578067 - in reply to #3577186)

NC Indiana
I'm currently running an Amazing Heat corn furnace made by Big M in Taylorville, IL. I've been running corn out of the bottom of one bin till this week, now burning corn that was put in at 18%, no screening, but I do pick out any 4" or longer stuff because it will block up the opening on the hopper. Can run 1/3 pellets in the mix as it is, but corn is better heat. Had an Amaize A Blaze stove before, corn had to be screened clean and below 15% moisture.
olf20
Posted 1/6/2014 05:56 (#3578260 - in reply to #3578067)

NW ILLINOIS
We use and sell American Energy Corn Stove. We've been using them for
over 17 years. I'm not going to debate which is better, but for those of
you that keep saying you get smoke in the house, you do not have it vented
correctly. Most people do not vent the fresh air supply for the stove outside.
We have fixed lots of installations because of this.
We have our power go out and never have smoke in the houses.
Many installers do not do this to save time and money.
Hope this helps!
olf20
Wheat Gazer
Posted 1/6/2014 06:38 (#3578325 - in reply to #3577186)

E. Kansas
I have been using Golden Grain Corn Stove for the last seven years. I have replaced the combustion blower once, but no other problems. No stir pot, which is less moving parts to break down. It has to be shut down daily to clean the burn pot. Have never tried any corn over 15%. I clean all of my corn through an old Davidson grain cleaner. The cleaner the corn the cleaner your stove is and the better it operates. As long as you are confident there are no bigger pieces of cob, stalks,or rocks the dirty corn will not be a problem.

Edit: Just read the previous post. I have never had a problem with smoke in the house when the power shuts off. I installed myself and put in a fresh air intake, but have sense blocked that off and allow it to pull air from the inside. When it was windy, the stove did not run the best. When I blocked the outside air off, that solved that problem.

Edited by Wheat Gazer 1/6/2014 06:46
Posted 1/6/2014 07:51 (#3578512 - in reply to #3577186)

Amaizablaze for many years here.
Simple, reliable, and few moving parts.
Corn right out of the bin for me.
sflem849
Posted 1/6/2014 07:54 (#3578521 - in reply to #3577186)

SE WI
Ldj/lmf style here. Drier the better but anything will burn.
FOFWKALW
Posted 1/6/2014 10:42 (#3579066 - in reply to #3577186)

I have 2 St. Croix Auburn stoves, very easy to run. We use 15% moisture corn. We have a Kwik Kleen grain screener that we screen the corn with. Only problem lowest setting keeps the house 78 degrees.
skitts
Posted 1/6/2014 15:27 (#3579920 - in reply to #3578067)

SE Minnestoa
Harmon Stoves are what I have. Dryer is better 13-14%.
boa628
Posted 1/6/2014 17:32 (#3580345 - in reply to #3578325)

SWOH
Mine has a double pipe that goes straight out the wall to outside, pulls air in and exhausts smoke. The only thing that keeps the smoke out of the house on mine is the combustion fan. If the combustion fan stops while the fire is going, the smoke comes through the stove and into the house. I would assume if I were using a chimney there would be enough drawl to still pull the smoke out if the fan stops but I don't know for sure.
olf20
Posted 1/6/2014 17:42 (#3580384 - in reply to #3580345)

NW ILLINOIS
The only way smoke can get in the house is if the
fresh air is NOT piped to the outside. We have installed
30 or 40 stoves and fix about as many. Not saying yours is
not, but if it is them something else is wrong.
olf20 / Bob
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)