AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1974 : Sept Freeze: Upper Midwest Soybeans Take a Hit
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Novato
Posted 7/31/2013 11:11 (#3239736)
Subject: 1974 : Sept Freeze: Upper Midwest Soybeans Take a Hit

NWIOA
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/freeze-upper-midwest-soy...

see 1974 reference and the map from Sept. 16, 2011

Edited by Novato 7/31/2013 11:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ruralHusker
Posted 7/31/2013 11:28 (#3239764 - in reply to #3239736)
Subject: Re: 1974 : Sept Freeze: Upper Midwest Soybeans Take a Hit

West of Lincoln a little bit
They listed corn as being ok from that freeze, is that because planting was on-time? Guessing with this year's late planting, same date freeze would not be a "blip on the rader" "corn ok" type of scenario.
rockinhonda
Posted 7/31/2013 12:23 (#3239862 - in reply to #3239736)

Locusts have been making noise for 2 weeks already here in southern MN. That puts a freeze about the end of august first of sept.
hillfarmer
Posted 7/31/2013 12:27 (#3239870 - in reply to #3239862)

I sure hope the Locust's are wrong
pfl
Posted 7/31/2013 12:31 (#3239876 - in reply to #3239736)
Subject: RE: 1974 : Sept Freeze: Upper Midwest Soybeans Take a Hit

Hillsdale Michigan
in 1974 we got hit by no rain in june-augest,some rain in early sept ,then on sept 13,14,15,it froze hard ,we ended up with 25 bu corn and 8 bu of green beans,corn was 41TW,and 38 moisture,wasnt good!
McHusker
Posted 7/31/2013 13:15 (#3239951 - in reply to #3239870)

Nebraska aka the boondocks
If the frost showed up that early, I would literally throw up.
chipmaker
Posted 7/31/2013 16:34 (#3240209 - in reply to #3239736)
Subject: RE: 1974 : Sept Freeze: Upper Midwest Soybeans Take a Hit

Hastings, NE
I have been hearing locusts here in SC Nebraska since the first week of July.
Mackenzie
Posted 7/31/2013 17:14 (#3240265 - in reply to #3239736)

The next full moon is on August 20th. If it is going to frost early this may be the time frame to watch.
Jim Dandy
Posted 7/31/2013 18:47 (#3240392 - in reply to #3239736)

NW Illinois Stephenson county
In 1974, my second year of farming for myself, I planted most of my corn early and then it rained hard and stayed wet for 3 weeks. Then I planted the last field in early June and started mowing hay the next day. When I tried to row cultivate the early corn, the cultivator slid on top of the ground. It did not yield very good, but it was mature with a lot of small ears and nubbins. The late corn was in roasting ear stage when it got frosted. Luckily I had most of it chopped for silage. If I remember right it frosted about the same time the next year, but the corn had been planted earlier and was all mature.
RedPowerFarms
Posted 7/31/2013 21:23 (#3240788 - in reply to #3239736)

SW MN
Since I started this below, I had probably better say more. I was a kid back then in 1974. Don't make me too old now! We came back from the MN state fair on Labor day. It used to be an Ag fair. (Those from MN know what I means by this!) That night we had an unexpected freeze here Labor Day eve. I Remember Dad being bummed like I had never seen him the next day. We had over night lost half of our crop, on all acres. We didn't keep yield records then like we do now but my county NASS stats back me up on this. That was the first time I knew what "silage corn" smelled like. Corn and beans both took quite a hit. If I remember right, the freeze went into Ohio. I haven't dug into the stats that far yet. I do not know how planting went that year, but I do know to this day anyone that lived through that event, measured frost possibilities and yield potential by that year. It was one of those events you never forgot. All the older farmers that would help us would always remind us young bucks that "It's not in the bin yet, and until it is don't count on what you see out there for yield. Anything can still happen." It also seemed to me that September frosts/freezes were not uncommon that decade.
I am not trying to be a bull or a bear here. Just trying to state the facts as facts. "It's not in the bin yet," rings loud more and more everyday here at least in the upper Midwest. If you've noticed MN mega bears have been a little more quiet lately about the huge crop. Maybe reality is what's out the window and staring them in the face a little.

So what's this got to do with marketing? The forecast for us two weeks out is for a cooler August. Not what we need as heat is energy. Plus we have not had a measurable rain since June 23. Last time I checked with agronomy, that's not a good combination. Knee high beans and corn tasseling on August 1 make me a little bit nervous with the odds of bringing this crop to maturity and hence our massive yield potential. And we "here" are supposedly the "garden spot of Minnesota"??? To me we are getting behind the eight ball as far as bringing this crop "here" up to average. Can it be done? Sure, if we don't freeze until like November. But what are the chances for that realistically? So market accordingly. Maybe that's why there's not an overabundance forward contracted at least here. I know you "I" state boys are bragging about your crops this year, and rightly so. Last year we heard stories of corn getting disced down like in August, so yes it is your turn. But that doesn't make pp fields here any better yielding. Last year we carried the freight to get to 12 B. bus. Any September frost will hurt us. A Labor Day frost will give us a Big goose egg. So you guys down south had better yield like never before so we can at least hold our own. I don't like the trend I see here for weather. We just won't do our share here like last year. Grain movement could get real interesting in 45 days the way this thing is shaping up.

Disclaimer: The views expressed are only from a guy with "boots on the ground" and who almost lost his pliers in a crack between the rows today. These comments are not to be construed as marketing advise as there is no commission involved unfortunately.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)