AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Opinions on these sterling trucks?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Brian in E Ore
Posted 3/6/2013 00:19 (#2945352)
Subject: Opinions on these sterling trucks?

Malheur County Oregon
Kinda looking for truck to stick on our equipment trailer
http://www.transystemsllc.biz/Maintenance/EquipmentForSale/EquipFor...

Pros and cons wanted about the MBE engines and the ultrashift trans

Other pros i suppose are they have been on a good maintenance program

Con. It.'s a freaking sterling.
Pro. I would probably add this to the front end and scare the hell out of everyone

(maximum-overdrive-1_133605917758.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments maximum-overdrive-1_133605917758.jpg (88KB - 199 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
durallymax
Posted 3/6/2013 00:42 (#2945359 - in reply to #2945352)
Subject: Re: Opinions on these sterling trucks?

Wi
MBE engines are not well liked. Probably on the bottom of the totem pole of the offerings out there.

Ultra shifts are not nice for inching, that add says they have the auto shift though which still has a clutch. They are fine for a driver who doesn't like to shift, lower resale though.

I think with the brand, color, engine, and transmission you just about found the most undesireable truck out there haha. But the price shows it. Truck with just over 500,000 miles, 2007, for $17,500. If you wanted a T800 with those miles, that year and a 430 C13 with a 10 spd manual you might want o add 20-30k to that price.

How much work are you looking to do with it. They could be just the right deal for you.
tommyw-5088
Posted 3/6/2013 04:51 (#2945409 - in reply to #2945359)

south Texas , York Rife Freemason
For sure a very hard truck to sell ,Sure glad we dont have those on our yard trying to sell them .
Posted 3/6/2013 06:28 (#2945481 - in reply to #2945359)

Eastern, IN
durallymax - 3/6/2013 00:42

MBE engines are not well liked. Probably on the bottom of the totem pole of the offerings out there.

Ultra shifts are not nice for inching, that add says they have the auto shift though which still has a clutch. They are fine for a driver who doesn't like to shift, lower resale though.

I think with the brand, color, engine, and transmission you just about found the most undesireable truck out there haha. But the price shows it. Truck with just over 500,000 miles, 2007, for $17,500. If you wanted a T800 with those miles, that year and a 430 C13 with a 10 spd manual you might want o add 20-30k to that price.

How much work are you looking to do with it. They could be just the right deal for you.

There isn't anything wrong with a the Sterling or the MBE's outside of resale. They quit building the sterling which hurts it's resale but the Sterling is a Freightliner under the skin. The difference in trucks is 'cost of operation'. Yep pay $35k for a KW or Pete and get 5-6 mpg. Spend $10k less and get a lighter weight truck with better mpg.

As for my post today about my semi break down, I lost an airline.
young buck1
Posted 3/6/2013 06:38 (#2945492 - in reply to #2945481)

Sibley county Minesota
A friend of mine is a certified MBE mechanic and told me to stay away from that engine when looking for trucks.
CS_307
Posted 3/6/2013 07:42 (#2945625 - in reply to #2945352)

Ohio
I own a Sterling. Fortunately mine has the Cummins motor and an Eaton 10 speed. While the trucks you've linked may not be ideal they are priced accordingly. I like my sterling for a number of reasons. It is much easier to maneuver into narrow lanes and bridges. It is also light and I can haul more legally. Mine is mainly used to pull a dump trailer. If I was in the market to buy right now I would really consider one of those you posted. I understand it's a sterling and it's an ugly shade of green, but if you can put emotions aside and think only about the bottom line then it seems like a better deal. I admit that like others have said I would be concerned about the MB motor too, but there's no guarantee on any used equipment you buy so it's hard to say that you wouldn't have problems if you got something with a cummins or cat in it.
stricker78
Posted 3/6/2013 07:46 (#2945638 - in reply to #2945625)

Alliance, NE
I just bought one...ride is very nice. Had a leak fixed between 5&6 heads..coolant leak. havent used it yet but will very soon. hopin it ia a good truck. mine has autoshift and mbe 4000 engine 2006 model
bpreuss
Posted 3/6/2013 09:44 (#2945908 - in reply to #2945352)

MN
those trans systems trucks are well maintained, but used and abused by inexperienced drivers, around "here" anyway
Posted 3/6/2013 10:58 (#2946024 - in reply to #2945492)

Eastern, IN
There sure are allot of MBE motors on the road for them to have that bad of a history. Besides they are a direct copy of a Detroit
durallymax
Posted 3/6/2013 11:05 (#2946033 - in reply to #2946024)

Wi
2388 - 3/6/2013 09:58

There sure are allot of MBE motors on the road for them to have that bad of a history. Besides they are a direct copy of a Detroit

The MBE is nowhere near a direct copy of a Detroit. It is a Mercedes motor but was built to fit the needs of Nortn America. It failed and gave them a bad rep so they dropped the line.
durallymax
Posted 3/6/2013 11:11 (#2946037 - in reply to #2945481)

Wi
2388 - 3/6/2013 05:28

durallymax - 3/6/2013 00:42

There isn't anything wrong with a the Sterling or the MBE's outside of resale. They quit building the sterling which hurts it's resale but the Sterling is a Freightliner under the skin. The difference in trucks is 'cost of operation'. Yep pay $35k for a KW or Pete and get 5-6 mpg. Spend $10k less and get a lighter weight truck with better mpg.

As for my post today about my semi break down, I lost an airline.

I never said there was anything wrong with them. They are just less desireable and the price will reflect that. Its a good thing for a lot of people. They pay the bills just fine.

KW builds the most fuel efficient truck on the road, the T680. Many other models get 7-8mpg all day as well. Not every KW is a long hood bought to be "cool". They are just well built comfortable trucks. Plenty of T800 and T600/660 day cabs under 15,000lb empty weight running around. The fact they only used Cummins or Cat and more recently Paccar keeps their resale up some as well.

I may be a KW fan, but when I am talking about "desireable" im dimply refering to resale and not whether or not it is a good truck. Generally less desireable is less desireable for a reason though.

Thats why I asked about his use. If hes not going to run it much they are a decent buy. But at the same time he could get an older truck with a better motor as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)