AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Virgin Yokahama's vs recap bridgestones
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Pofarmer
Posted 2/20/2013 09:23 (#2912405)
Subject: Virgin Yokahama's vs recap bridgestones

First flat goes to the Yokes. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Alberta Farmer
Posted 2/20/2013 09:32 (#2912420 - in reply to #2912405)
Subject: Re: Virgin Yokahama's vs recap bridgestones

West Central Alberta Coldest, wettest edge
I've been told by a guy who has been in the tire/recap business forever that the recaps have better reliability than a virgin tire. Reason: any flaws in the casing have long since been discovered by the time the tire is worn enough to be a recap, so only the best tires get recapped, the defective ones blew up long before, and the inspection process is much more involved for a recap than when a new tire leaves the factory.
Red/Green
Posted 2/20/2013 09:33 (#2912422 - in reply to #2912405)

Elizabethtown,KY
Any tire can pick up a nail, screw or assorted problem and go flat Chad, it is the fact that when a re-cap blows out or peels off it usually causes much more damage than a new tire.
greenfarmer
Posted 2/20/2013 09:51 (#2912457 - in reply to #2912422)

Central Minnesota
I'm actually surprised at how many caps you see laying along side of the road. I'm waiting to hear of the motorcyclist that was driving, and a cap blew apart and hit and killed him. Just waiting to see how big that lawsuit will be. Between a freak accident like that, and all of the damage caps do when they do fly apart, makes virgin tires a lot cheaper than caps!

Been down that road years ago. Had a cap blow apart and tear up the back of a grain trailer, had another cap blow apart and tear up side fairings on a freightliner. That was the end of caps on both of them. Ill pay more for virgins. Cheaper in the long run, and I've never had tread on a cap outlast a virgin tire. Also now it seems caps start to weather crack so bad, you can see the cap starting to separate from the casing before the tread is bad enough to have to replace.
iseedit
Posted 2/20/2013 10:00 (#2912471 - in reply to #2912420)

central - east central Minnesota -

Alberta Farmer - 2/20/2013 09:32 I've been told by a guy who has been in the tire/recap business forever that the recaps have better reliability than a virgin tire. Reason: any flaws in the casing have long since been discovered by the time the tire is worn enough to be a recap, so only the best tires get recapped, the defective ones blew up long before, and the inspection process is much more involved for a recap than when a new tire leaves the factory.

Agree'd . . . .
The recapers do a very good job of inspecting those caps before hand also.

olwhda
Posted 2/20/2013 10:03 (#2912482 - in reply to #2912457)

Liberty, MO
As you probably know I hate caps, BUT new tires go flat and a friend had a BIG Single blow out on a new Timpte grain trailer with 5000 miles on it, cost several dollars to fix the trailer. I had the misfortune of picking up a bolt in a new 11R 22.5 Bridgestone on my trailer a few months ago and ruined the tire, just went flat, no trailer damage, CRAP HAPPENS.
iseedit
Posted 2/20/2013 10:04 (#2912483 - in reply to #2912457)

central - east central Minnesota -

greenfarmer - 2/20/2013 09:51 I'm actually surprised at how many caps you see laying along side of the road. I'm waiting to hear of the motorcyclist that was driving, and a cap blew apart and hit and killed him. Just waiting to see how big that lawsuit will be. Between a freak accident like that, and all of the damage caps do when they do fly apart, makes virgin tires a lot cheaper than caps! Been down that road years ago. Had a cap blow apart and tear up the back of a grain trailer, had another cap blow apart and tear up side fairings on a freightliner. That was the end of caps on both of them. Ill pay more for virgins. Cheaper in the long run, and I've never had tread on a cap outlast a virgin tire. Also now it seems caps start to weather crack so bad, you can see the cap starting to separate from the casing before the tread is bad enough to have to replace.

From my past experence, caps don't just let go, suddenly . . . .
Inspecting tires, which is part of the daily vechicle inspcrtion process is neccessary.
Sure, if you are a cross country trucker, a cap may, may let go, unexpectedly - but, for the most part, you can see the signs, long before the cap could ever let go . . . . . . . 
Even the cross country truckers generally take breaks and check for cracks, seperations and bulges and then, most importantly, change then out - not keep driving, till they blow apart.

Deere9986
Posted 2/20/2013 10:07 (#2912496 - in reply to #2912405)

West Tennessee
I cannot stand a recap tire, bought a truck at Freightliners select trucks in Houston, drove to Corpus Christi and loaded up a cotton picker and headed home. Didn't make it 3 hours and blew the first one. $400 later and was back going. Made it to Arkansas and second one blew. Another $400 and away I went. Got to Tennessee and put 8 new drives on and took the two I bought and put them on the steering. After that it took 6 years before a piece of angle iron took out a drive that still had50% left
greenfarmer
Posted 2/20/2013 10:22 (#2912532 - in reply to #2912483)

Central Minnesota
How do you inspect a brand new cap? 300 miles, blows apart and wrecks fairings? That one my friend, isn't the driver, or owners fault. That's a faulty cap.

Caps can't take the heat of the road in the summer, sliding tires on sharp turns and hot roads, coupled with air pressure are all things that cause caps to come apart. In July, check tire pressure on a fully loaded grain trailer, drive 50 miles to your destination, and check again. 5-10 pounds higher because of the heat. But if you run them under-inflated your also asking for problems. All of that added expansion and contraction on them coupled with the weight is hard on them.

Back in the mid 90's when I tried caps, it seems I was always experiencing tire problems and replacing tires every year because of something. Cap starting to separate from casing, a bulge, crack, uneven tread wear, you name it. Put virgins on and never have those problems. Same 8 virgin drive tires now on one farm truck since 2006, and only one flat. Caps would have been all replaced atleast once since then. And those tires have over 100,000 on. And still in great shape. No weather cracks, no bulges, nothing.
jd8850
Posted 2/20/2013 10:34 (#2912546 - in reply to #2912405)

Roseglen, North Dakota
I beg to differ with the recapper that says casings are inspected more thorougly than new tires. I suppose they are--why would there be any need to inspect a new tire? They can inspect them all day long but most of them forget to read the manufacturing date of the casing. We have received cap and casing from a large Bandag dealer where the casings are 5-6 yrs old and did not accept them. Every failure we have ever had on a cap has been the fault of the casing, not the cap. That being said, I will pay $340 for a new Chinese tire vs $250 for cap/casing (24.5 tall)
Prohay
Posted 2/20/2013 11:44 (#2912675 - in reply to #2912457)

No Mans Land , Cimarron co. OK.
caps are ok if you want to save a few bucks , until the cap blows off and does thousands of dollars worth of damage to your trailer. if you run heavy loads and run fast you want all VIRGINS, I was in the trucking business for 30 years and I seen lots of caps tear up lots of trailers. I ran 3 cattle trucks long haul and I would never run a cap EVER. New recap's today might be ok but I still would not take that chance.
mikejd4020
Posted 2/20/2013 16:41 (#2913166 - in reply to #2912546)

Bainville, MT
I worked at a local coop not as a tire man, but helped the tire men sometimes. The old guy that worked there said to run lots of air pressure in the caps as that would not allow the tire to flex as much and they wouldn't come apart as much. I don't know, not a tire guy. The tire men sold 3 to 1 virgins to caps.
six shooter
Posted 2/20/2013 16:59 (#2913212 - in reply to #2912457)
Subject: re; tire tread almost got us

northeast mo.
out west on the bike last summer, saw a tire coming apart on a trailer. two lane road, got over as far as i could going about 65 at the time it came apart. just missed us, wife and i buy maybe 3 foot as it slid across the road. have thanked God many times for the miss....
jnlarson
Posted 2/20/2013 18:19 (#2913379 - in reply to #2912405)
Subject: RE: Virgin Yokahama's vs recap bridgestones

NE MT
A non capped tire can cause a lot of damage when a front tire blows. I know we don't use caps on steer axles but it would be hard to believe a cap could have caused any more damage than what the virgin did.
greenfarmer
Posted 2/20/2013 19:20 (#2913550 - in reply to #2913212)

Central Minnesota
That's a perfect example of why caps should be outlawed. I'm sorry, but if you have the money to purchase a tractor and trailer, and have money to put fuel in, and haul something, you also have the money to afford virgins and not caps.

That cap could have very easily killed 2 people. Is that money savings worth it?
farmer82
Posted 2/20/2013 19:27 (#2913570 - in reply to #2913379)

S.E. Iowa
When I was in college I worked for Bandag 2 days a week. At that time {83} they had a casing that had 8 or 900000 miles on it. It was a Bandag casing, they didnt go over very well {as I understand it} because they were so expensive up front. I always thought they were good and have never had any problems with them. At that time they were very much against hot capping {of course} and most of the failures I saw were hot caps.
RodInNS
Posted 2/20/2013 20:52 (#2913866 - in reply to #2913550)

How do you even know it was a cap? Virgin tire could just as easily come apart the same way...

Rod
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)