AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2-Way Radio Interference With GPS
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SHOOT DEERE IT IS
Posted 6/27/2012 22:35 (#2453695)
Subject: 2-Way Radio Interference With GPS

WI
Have a 2-way radio in our 9770 combine. We were running last year with a ITC and brown box. When talking on the radio the PDOP would go way up and the lines would jump like crazy. Up to 6-8 feet per pass(not big fields). This was on SF1. Stop talking on the 2-way and the PDOP would come down and everything would be fine. We will be running a 2630 with a 3000 receiver this year. We will be running on RTk or SF2 fallback this year. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this and if anything can be done to help with the interference.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Schlick55
Posted 6/27/2012 22:44 (#2453724 - in reply to #2453695)
Subject: Re: 2-Way Radio Interference With GPS

Clear Lake, IA
Make sure your globe wires and radio wires are not run together. If they are and they are in a loop they turn into an antenna. I had a EZ-250 on a 8770 and every time I keyed the mic she went bonkers. I like a nice clean cab and had everything tied together, this was a big problem. After dealing with this for two years AgLearer came out with a update that said not to run wires together. Hope this helps.
Casey
Greenacres8120
Posted 6/27/2012 22:50 (#2453736 - in reply to #2453695)
Subject: RE: 2-Way Radio Interference With GPS

We had the same problem with a brand new 3000. We swapped it out with a different new 3000 and it has been fine since spring
Smoothlander
Posted 6/27/2012 22:55 (#2453759 - in reply to #2453695)

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=225999&posts=8...
Gerald J.
Posted 6/28/2012 11:11 (#2454470 - in reply to #2453695)

The correction signal is VHF or UHF just like the two way. You can change the band of the two way. You should separate the correction antenna and the two way antenna as much as possible, vertical separation is more effective than horizontal separation. You can turn down the power of the two way to reduce interference, at the same time reducing the working range of the two way.

Gerald J.
Ed Boysun
Posted 6/28/2012 15:52 (#2454848 - in reply to #2454470)
Subject: PDOP has nothing to do with corrections.

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

If the DOP is going up, the system is loosing satellite signals. DOP has nothing to do with corrections.
During the debate on the Lightsquared issue, it was pretty well admitted that our GPS receivers have front ends that are not very selective and thus subject to overloading by out of band signals. Since the frequency spectrum is very full and getting fuller by the day, this issue will continue to crop up and even get worse.
Too bad that so many claim there is no way to filter or make the GPS receivers more selective. (/sarcasm)

Chad H
Posted 6/28/2012 15:57 (#2454856 - in reply to #2453695)

NE SD

What kind of radios are you running? My cousin buys radios from Midcom(????) or something like that in I think Indiana. He has lots of problems with his radios kicking the autosteer out in his combine. We run Kenwood UHF radios and have no problems whatsoever.

Gerald J.
Posted 6/28/2012 16:43 (#2454942 - in reply to #2454848)

There were a couple who claimed they could filter the front ends well enough to stand light speed next door and thousands of engineers who know they couldn't because the loss in the filters the proposed would kill the already weak GPS signals and would take up more space than the whole receiver and computer these days. The arguments on the microwave reflector got very loud at times before the FCC retired Light Speed. Those that proposed filters didn't appear to actually test the concept in the field and some of those opposed to Light Speed did field tests with simulated light speed transmitters for the military and had first hand experience in the level of degradation. I won't name names, but you can search the archives, after joining the list at:
http://lists.valinet.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/microwave

Since I've watched other 4G sites damage NWS radar images by splattering from overdrive, I figured light speed would do it but wouldn't quit so that filters were ineffective because the light speed signal would be broader than their spectrum spilling over into the GPS spectrum.

Still antenna and cable separation and lower two way power should all help cut the interference to GPS.

Gerald J.
SHOOT DEERE IT IS
Posted 6/28/2012 17:20 (#2454994 - in reply to #2453695)

WI
Running Motorola Radios. Was out today messing with it. If i left the mic keyed for over 10 seconds i would loose signal altogether. It would say no gps signal and the reciever would show 3D none.

How do you turn down the power to the 2-way??
Gerald J.
Posted 6/28/2012 23:24 (#2455785 - in reply to #2454994)

There's often a screwdriver adjust pot inside the Motorola, at least there was in the old ones. It varies depending on the model. Separate the antennas as much as possible too.

Gerald J.
JDEEREMAN
Posted 6/29/2012 01:35 (#2455974 - in reply to #2454994)

Eastern ND
You probably have a VHF radio in the 151.000 frequency range. Good luck. I tried moving a magnetic antenna 20' from cab and it still kicked GPS off. Someone here sugested that the power and ground for the BB radio be moved away from the factory spots. Said it worked. I just changed frequency.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)