AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Replacement windows
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

OHKen
Posted 4/25/2011 06:38 (#1743392)
Subject: Replacement windows

Ohio
Am replacing the windows in the home. We presently have 50 year old Anderson awning windows. I dislike the looks of the vinyl replacement that make the glass area shrink down to accommodate the vinyl insert , if you know what I mean. Have always liked Pella, mostly for the blinds between the panes. Reality sets in when pricing get's involved ! Vinyl replacement double hung will be the choice, simply for the fact I can buy 6 vinyl replacement for 1 Pella. I'm looking at a Vista product, anybody have any experience with these windows ? What are some of the vinyl windows that you have used and been satisfied with ? TIA

Edited by OHKen 4/25/2011 06:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iseedit
Posted 4/25/2011 07:47 (#1743440 - in reply to #1743392)
Subject: RE: Replacement windows

central - east central Minnesota -

For  your consideration, I'm not sure, but think Anderson offers a very effencient vinyl to compete with the entry priced windows, and I know Marvin offers a very effiencent widow to compete in that price range. Not sure if Pella does or not. There are some pretty good off brand vinyl windows out there, but I too, don't care for the "look" of that wide plastic moldling . . . . . 

DRester
Posted 4/25/2011 07:51 (#1743448 - in reply to #1743392)
Subject: Re: Replacement windows

Franklinton, LA
I purchased some insulated vinyl windows from Home Depot in 2004. The windows are average in quality but adequate for my barn/shop/office. The plastic screens are now falling apart and need replacing.
conservation cop
Posted 4/25/2011 08:35 (#1743521 - in reply to #1743392)

Gettysburg, PA

I used Simonton replacements in my old house.  I did a lot of research and after a while they all start looking the same with similar features, look and warranties.  I went with Simonton because that is what our local lumber yard carried.  I agree with you concerning the look but I spent just over $9,000 for all of my windows (I think it was 15) and my neighbe had Pella windows installed and spent over $33,000!  Like you said, reality sets in!! 

Mrs B
Posted 4/25/2011 09:21 (#1743611 - in reply to #1743392)

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

You're smart to keep on looking.............Pellas aren't all they're cracked up to be and are way over-priced for the actual quality you get in the end.  Our kids are very happy with their new Marvins. 

don@nebr
Posted 4/25/2011 20:47 (#1744567 - in reply to #1743392)

andersons and pellas are over priced sold on name recognition only. read reviews of those on net. I put in Gerkin replacements and have been well pleased. Anything is better than single pane window weight windows that actually "rattles"at the barest amount of wind,,,with storm windows attached.
bwire
Posted 4/25/2011 21:43 (#1744740 - in reply to #1744567)

Rock County, MN

Second the Gerkin window. Regarding Anderson and Pella it seems what used to be isn't as certain now many times.

Edited by bwire 4/25/2011 21:48
D&K Farms
Posted 4/26/2011 08:38 (#1745404 - in reply to #1744740)

Northwest Iowa
We are in the process of replacing our pella windows with crestline from menards. I think if you look at them you will be impressed.
bellyacre
Posted 4/26/2011 09:00 (#1745436 - in reply to #1743392)

SWMN
Inserts are a nice way to replace windows. "BUT" do some serious checking of your existing frames. I have seen too many times where inserts were put in poor frames and the whole window had to be replaced in just a few years.
can counter
Posted 4/26/2011 09:15 (#1745467 - in reply to #1743392)

Oelwein, Iowa

I second checking the existing frames for condition. Also make sure who-ever installs the inserts knows what they are doing. Our house had replacements installed when we bought the house and now all 17 need the old frame replaced. They were installed without any sort of drain at the bottom, and I'm told the way vinyl sweats around the frame has caused them all to rot.

sdnotill1983
Posted 4/26/2011 09:26 (#1745484 - in reply to #1745467)

SE SD
I just purchased gerkin windows. Suppose to be right up there with some of the higher quality ones. So far impressed.
guypatrick
Posted 4/26/2011 09:33 (#1745490 - in reply to #1743392)

North central, IA
I put a bunch ofJeld-Wen windows in an old house. I was impressed with the quality for the price and couldn't believe the difference they made in 'drafty-ness'. They were easy to install and by doing it myself I was able to take my time and really get them sealed up good. Another thing you might consider - after the first few I decided to go with single-hung for the rest. My wife agreed that we would be very unlikely to open the tops and thats just one less place for potential air leaks.
don@nebr
Posted 4/26/2011 16:19 (#1746100 - in reply to #1745490)
Subject: RE: pros and cons of single hungs

I use them too. if the outside height is 'low' they work fine. problem is it is hard to wash from inside,,,like second story. Either you wash them from outside(upper outside only) or take the screen out and reach from inside. screens are a pain to put in and out,,most people would end up wrecking the screen. Biggest pro is they are the cheapest and the least drafty as upper doent move. IF cleaning ease is a requirement the double hung are the ticker. 90% of people dont know how to operate use, for 'ventilation', a double hung window anyway!!! All have central air anyway.
OHKen
Posted 4/26/2011 18:54 (#1746359 - in reply to #1746100)

Ohio
Thanks for the tips ,guys. I did google Gerkin and I am impressed, will be checking these out further.
Brad J
Posted 4/27/2011 00:36 (#1747386 - in reply to #1743392)

Tangent, OR
I just had my house done with Simonton windows from home depot about a month ago. They're vinyl replacements. So far i'm pleased. They're very tight, nice construction, work well. When they came out to do the demo they held a heat lamp through the sample window and through my 60 year old windows and the lack of UV gain was impressive.

I bought them through home depot, they now do their own install and are responsible for the warranty (NOT the manufacturer or installer!). It's called the double lifetime warranty, it's for as long as I own the house and as long as the next person owns the house. They say they'll come and replace the screens for free, lifetime, even if its my drunk butt falling through it. There was a 10% off sale, treated me right. Pleased with the install and like the thought of not having to track down some gyppo installer for a warranty issue.
JD630
Posted 4/27/2011 20:59 (#1749013 - in reply to #1743392)

We put Marvin Infinity fiberglass windows in. They were not cheap, but we like them alot. We would buy them again if we moved. They look like wood windows (now gaskets, smaller frames, built in latches...)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)