AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Skid steer, over the tire tracks vs rubber tracked machine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Pofarmer
Posted 3/23/2011 09:58 (#1685196)
Subject: Skid steer, over the tire tracks vs rubber tracked machine

Pros, cons? Seems to me the rubber tracked undercarriage is going to be more expensive to own. Cousin says the steel over the tire tracks will go better in mud than the factory rubber tracks. Just looking for experience.

Edited by Pofarmer 3/23/2011 09:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iseedit
Posted 3/23/2011 10:22 (#1685242 - in reply to #1685196)
Subject: RE: Skid steer, over the tire tracks vs rubber tracked machine

central - east central Minnesota -

Pofarmer - 3/23/2011 08:58 Pros, cons? Seems to me the rubber tracked undercarriage is going to be more expensive to own. Cousin says the steel over the tire tracks will go better in mud than the factory rubber tracks. Just looking for experience.

I think it makes a difference on the job the machine will be used for . . . .
Over the wheel tracks can be a pain and cause issues with the wheels - flats. (seems most are used for additional traction, pushing dirt - so it really hard on the drive system).
If occasional use in soft mud, flats are not as prevalent, but it's not the floatation of a tracked machine either.
Tracked machines are balanced differently then wheeled machines, so adding tracks to wheels doesn't give you that balance to the advantage of the machine / work completed.
I would not agree with the comment about tire tracked machine going through mud better then dedicated tracked machine. Seems the dedicated track machines seem to float more and not sink as much (balanced).
Dedicated tracked machines are more expensive to own - but in just about 1000 hrs I have not had any repairs on mine and  no flat tires (Ziegler Cat thinks I should make 2000hrs on my track system). Only been stuck once, in a swamp (fell off the grass humps and got hung up) other wise they float over ground like you wouldn't believe. And don't rip it up as tire track machines do.
Most of my expenence is with ASV track system on a Cat. I have and do use my brothers T190 bobcat. Bobcat tracks are a bit more aggressive then ASV's. But not like my other brothers NH180 with steel tracks over wheels . . .. both ours dedicated track machines could out work his NH almost 2 to 1 in mostly dry dirt gradeing.
Had a job fixing a cross country sky trail through some bog ground a couple years ago. Our two dedicated tracked machines got the job done with little disturbance to the boggy swamp. . . the club manager pulled the 2 track over tires machines off the job - due to them ripping up the track.
It really depends on the intended job for the machine . . . .
I'm sure Tommy will chime in with better expence between the two . . . .. 

Edited by iseedit 3/23/2011 10:26
Pofarmer
Posted 3/23/2011 14:07 (#1685505 - in reply to #1685242)
Subject: Re: Skid steer, over the tire tracks vs rubber tracked machine

I noticed that the tipping loads on the various machines were greater for the tracked version. For that reason, I'm wondering if a maybe a T 190, would be pretty equivalent to an S 250?
seedcleaner
Posted 3/23/2011 14:35 (#1685544 - in reply to #1685196)

Mid-Missouri

Grousers are mud eatin mothers...
Biggest complaint is the mud they carry out to the driveway because between every other bar, it doesnt pivot.
I think they make pads that can be bolted on in this location, maybe rubber, for less concrete destruction and better floatation. JD sells Grousers, labeled JD. They can be fully rebuilt as well.

Edited by seedcleaner 3/23/2011 15:05

(DSCN5363.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN5363.JPG (80KB - 89 downloads)
Tommy
Posted 3/23/2011 19:10 (#1685869 - in reply to #1685196)

Iowa
NO WAY will over-the-tire go through more mud than a CTL.A CTL will float where a over-the-track will sink are tear stuff up. You cousin is simply wrong.

General use--I'd go with over-the-tire and live with certain limitations because a wheeled machine is so much more versatile and cheaper to own. If you have manure or work in the mud when it's getting cold at night, and you don't have a heated shop or it would be inconvenient to get to a heated shop--the a CTL is an absolute "no".If on concrete a lot, then a CTL is also a "no".

As a dedicated dirt/grading machine, a CTL is the only way to go.

Yes, a T-190 will lift like a S250--its due to weight distribution--the 190 won't tip forward as soon.
PTO
Posted 3/23/2011 20:43 (#1686060 - in reply to #1685196)

Northeast Misery
Depends on what you're doing. Rubber tracks will go places steel will not. If it's a little greasy on top and you need to push, rubber will spin, steel will bite and go.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)