AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Turn Rows First or last???
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Worthmore
Posted 2/27/2011 08:56 (#1638962)
Subject: Turn Rows First or last???

Live in Forsyth, Missouri Farm in N, MO
When planting soybeans or corn should you put turn rows in first or last; I realize if you were doing 1000s of acres it would make sense to do it first to save seed, but i only do around 75 acres. My brother says to do it first, I say last, i always figured you might campact the seed or damage it in some way??? or does it make any difference at all? Second question should you stop at the end of the rows and raise the planter or do it on the move, I use a 7000 6rn, seems like you dribble some seed on the move? these may seem like dumb questions but i havent farmed that long and never wa s accused of being a brainiac!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cotncrzy
Posted 2/27/2011 09:06 (#1638979 - in reply to #1638962)
Subject: RE: Turn Rows First or last???

PROSPECT, TENNESSEE
I always plant mine first, use that point to pick up the planter to avoid double planting. When I plant the same crop two years in a row (same planter) I might not because I can follow last years stubble. I have never had a stand issue if the ground is in good condition to be planting.
cdi
Posted 2/27/2011 09:11 (#1638989 - in reply to #1638962)
Subject: Re: Turn Rows First or last???

western Pa
I do mine first if the ground is fit, On a kinze the drive wheels disengage just before planter clears the ground. Never used a 7000 can't help you there.
bmcpherson
Posted 2/27/2011 10:09 (#1639107 - in reply to #1638962)

Neither, we dont plant turnrows around here.
don@nebr
Posted 2/27/2011 10:40 (#1639182 - in reply to #1638962)

Plant them first, otherwise the overlap is huge and is wasted seed. If the dribble on the end alot try adjusting your clutch, OR raising the planter faster to kick it out. I had a 7000 and clutch drove me up the wall, broke or slipping all the time. I ended up retro fitting a 7200 clutch on it and it was amazing. Part of the problem for me was dry fert. insecticide and seed turned hard,especially after a short road ride that set it up. Helped when I turned chains by hand first but best thing I ever did was put that clutch in. Could do it alot cheaper now with donor junkers out there for parts. 7000 was junk compared to bulletproof 7200.

There once was a guy here who got off each round and covered the visible dribble with his foot scooting and packing the dirt. Same guy who sharpened disk blades with sandpaper while hand turning them. He doesnt farm anymore.
Mlebrun
Posted 2/27/2011 10:51 (#1639208 - in reply to #1639182)

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
I have NEVER seen anyone do them last.
As far as turning on planted seed seems they come up first when the tractor tire runs over them!!
swne
Posted 2/27/2011 11:32 (#1639292 - in reply to #1638962)

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
Plant the turnrows first to know where to raise and lower the planter. Raise and lower the planter on the move so you don't run the risk of plugging a seed tube. Also, I would rather the planter plant into ground that has not been driven on to get better depth control. I would say you might run the risk of getting seeds a little shallow or not covered well if you plant the turnrows last and you are planting over wheel tracks. Seems once the seed is placed in the ground there is less damage to it if a tire runs over it.
gndfarms
Posted 2/27/2011 11:37 (#1639303 - in reply to #1639292)

mid minnesota
In a perfect world you could drive around the feild with GPS calculate the end rows then plant then go back and work up the end rows then plant.LOL
paul the original
Posted 2/27/2011 11:39 (#1639310 - in reply to #1639208)

southern MN
Same here, of course we aren't that far apart. ;) See this question now & then, never even crossed my mind, one does the end rows first of course. A 'here' thing I guess.

Also I think everyone stops to lift the planter - I think. Maybe with the row shtoffs it's different now, but anyhow 5 years ago, everyone stopped.

Dad would take a rake & close the seed slots of the fields near the house if time/weather allowed more years than not. :)

--->Paul
4ethanol
Posted 2/27/2011 11:48 (#1639327 - in reply to #1639303)

Hoxie, KS, Northwest Kansas
or you could save the headland of each field into your GPS in the spring of '11 and pull that data out in the winter and write your prescriptions so it would shut off every year after using that previous headland boundary. thats what alot of people do with their pivots out here since we apply 32k of a high yield corn on the pivot but we have to plant 14-16k of a drought tolerant corn in the corners.
Gerald J.
Posted 2/27/2011 11:48 (#1639330 - in reply to #1638962)

Some would view the spills as a check on the monitor. No spill on a row as you lift hints that row isn't planting. Maybe the monitor didn't tell you that.

If you cultivate or spray, the end rows get abused anyway, take any crop harvested from them as bonus.

On the small planters, best I can tell the 7200 and the 7000 clutches are the same parts.

Gerald J.
loran
Posted 2/27/2011 12:05 (#1639366 - in reply to #1638962)

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175

I guess I'm going to be an odd duck here?  I've been starting to plant more endrows last.....and now this year with full strip-till,my goal is to plant all the ends last.

I guess I just don't get it--  In a high residue situation....with row shut off's, don't you sacrifice where the rows you inted to keep are covered up? (with residue)

I know the last couple of yrs I've started doing this.....and it's convinced me it's worth purusing.

I'm looking into shut off's and everbody seems to struggle with that concept?  Most suggest I'll have issues establishing setbacks for turnrows and waterways......

agboy
Posted 2/27/2011 12:15 (#1639388 - in reply to #1639366)

Flandreau, SD

I plant endrows last.

I "fake" plant the last set of endrows so my clutches know when to turn on and off, come back and turn the autoswath off and plant where I "fake" planted and finish the rest of the end rows.

This is with autosteer though, makes it easy.

No till or strip till makes it easy also, as you have old rows to follow. 

SW Ont farmboy
Posted 2/27/2011 12:20 (#1639401 - in reply to #1638962)

near Lucan
Used to plant them after because the cultivator wasn't out of the field, still sometimes the case. I'd rather plant them first, or maybe do the entire 4 rounds around the field. As for stopping the planter to lift it up, I grew up with a 4 row IH56, and those kernels at the end let you know it was still planting. Replanting more than one pass because a row wasn't working got you a talking to!
Duane NC OH
Posted 2/27/2011 12:25 (#1639405 - in reply to #1638962)

Republic OH (NC OH)
for corn i plant the headlands first.
for beans i plant them last.
i figure the corn is planted deeper
and less like to be disturbed.
beans are planted shallower and
more like to be disturbed.

fwiw
Greywolf
Posted 2/27/2011 12:25 (#1639406 - in reply to #1639366)

Aberdeen MS
Pull type strip tiller... mounted planter.

When using a pull type planter turning on stripped headlands really bounced it around. More than I cared for. Planted field, then stripped headlands and then planted. Going across fresh strips perpendicular is rough. But the strip tiller is actually worse on the stripped headlands.

Mounted planter on stripped headlands is a lot more forgiving.

I like to get my headlands of corn out of the way in the fall of the year. Plant shorter maturity so I can check out the corn header and settings, do the BS with opening the fields, chopping the stalks etc etc.

Leaving the headlands last, one fill of the different variety. I will have a couple fields that were stripped last fall, headlands and all, so I'll get an idea of planting into stale strips that have been turned around on with the planter. Doubt it will have any negative effect though.
thomps
Posted 2/27/2011 12:29 (#1639417 - in reply to #1638962)

We're into max tillage here and for years I've wanted to mark my headland so I knew where to stop, then work and plant the headland last. I don't think you gain anything doing it last unless you can dig out the tracks. My trouble is my field cultivator is already gone on when I would like it to do the headland.

We always stop at the headland. It's easier on a 7000 clutch but mainly we want the planter to stop planting exactly at the right spot.
nbfarms
Posted 2/27/2011 12:51 (#1639464 - in reply to #1638979)

I have had the same question, for those of you who plant them first, do you have a MFWD or two wheel drive. We use a 4455 and i think that when i turn i kick up to much dirt with the front tires, causing the seeds to be disturbed. Am i worrying to much about that??
maninblack
Posted 2/27/2011 13:14 (#1639501 - in reply to #1639208)

So Illinois
Mlebrun - 2/27/2011 09:51

I have NEVER seen anyone do them last.
As far as turning on planted seed seems they come up first when the tractor tire runs over them!!

Guess you need to come here then. I hardly ever plant them first. The strip bar or field cultivator is probably still in the field and doesn't have the ends worked yet. I've ran a planter enuff years I can look off the end of the hood and lift the planter probably within 3 feet of where it needs to be most of the time. Just kind of get into a rhythm...don't even really think about it.
mralleyoop
Posted 2/27/2011 14:05 (#1639612 - in reply to #1638962)

South Dakota
Seems as if every body "here" has always did the turn rows last regardless of planting, disking or whatever. I always did the turn rows for a reason I don't see mentioned today. I figure the inside edge of the operation, when the turn rows are done last, will funnel any run off of rainwater down one furrow instead of several and cause a washout sooner.

Edited by mralleyoop 2/28/2011 12:39
Circle Farmer
Posted 2/27/2011 15:09 (#1639752 - in reply to #1638962)

Last. Used to do it first but with striptill you know where to pick up the planter. Once you have your rows made, you even know where to pick up the strip till unit the next year to so the turn rows get done last with it too. More and more I can't stand to drive over planted corn or beans. The first two years the pulltype planter bounced over the turnrow strips pretty good but not nearly so much now.
John In Ontario
Posted 2/27/2011 16:01 (#1639862 - in reply to #1638962)

Ripley, Ontario Canada
I always plant them first, never see any difference. I never stop to lift the planter either (or drill) need to get more acres done trumps seed savings, and especially with corn I don' t have a monitor, so seed and fert on the the ground = planter is working and no embarrassing skips later (cause they always happen where you can see from the road)
Greywolf
Posted 2/27/2011 16:02 (#1639864 - in reply to #1639208)

Aberdeen MS
Better seed to soil contact??
earp
Posted 2/27/2011 16:12 (#1639882 - in reply to #1638962)

Manila, Ar
I always planted turnrows last..............
nbfarms
Posted 2/27/2011 16:16 (#1639893 - in reply to #1639862)

Do you have a 2 wd or mfwd?? On our 4455 we have to always use the brakes a little to turn, and it throws up some dirt from the front tires
DixieDeere
Posted 2/27/2011 18:32 (#1640118 - in reply to #1639893)

Jackson County, AL
We just plant them all first here unless using a no-till drill, then they get planted last. When we were double discing or dualling they went last so your tracks were worked our. Same with a no-till drill. Its amazing what kind of leveling a 750 drill will do on conventional fields. A 15" planter is about as good. I like the idea of doing them last but we don't with a planter unless its beans behind corn and we have last-years rows to use.

I also try to pick up the planter on the go. I've notice with our 1790 that if you gear down a couple gears and pick it up on the go the closing wheels come up last and cover everything that might have dropped. It seems like we have more clumped if we stop and lift and sits in the trench with nothing to close it.
snorf
Posted 2/27/2011 20:30 (#1640392 - in reply to #1638962)

central mo
Where do you find 75 acres to farm in Forsyth? I use a JD 7000 and try to stop on ends ,if time allows. I plant my headlands first,but I will leave my last rows of the field open to resist extreme over/underlap, also plant headlands 60ft. to move overlap away from trees of field edge, and allow room to turn
Worthmore
Posted 2/28/2011 07:54 (#1641206 - in reply to #1640392)

Live in Forsyth, Missouri Farm in N, MO
Thanks for all the info. I will try turn rows first..... I commute to farm in NW. MO, I started helping my father in law a couple years ago; Really enjoy it and keeps him from selling the farm and me losing a great hunting spot!!!
Mlebrun
Posted 2/28/2011 10:47 (#1641473 - in reply to #1639864)

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Maybe because the soil is smashed down and the seed is actually shallower in the tire tracks. I would imagine it is warmer there also??
Uncle Fester
Posted 2/28/2011 18:38 (#1642147 - in reply to #1639893)

remsen, iowa nw iowa
aint that the truth, john!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)