AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

getting diesel fuel odor out of clothes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Don McDonald
Posted 4/16/2007 14:25 (#137837)
Subject: getting diesel fuel odor out of clothes

Plain City, Ohio
I know this has been hit on here before but I cannot remember the remedy.
I unfortunatey slopped some diesel fuel on my favorite denim lined shirt.
My wife tried with some success to get the odor out but thus far has not been able to get it all out.
I really don't like the smell of diesel fuel and if I wear the shirt as is the t-shirt underneath winds up smelling bad too so any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Thanks
Don McDonald
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gifford
Posted 4/16/2007 14:34 (#137844 - in reply to #137837)
Subject: Re: getting diesel fuel odor out of clothes

East Kansas, DeSoto
Era laundry soap with a little vinegar added ahould do the job. There will be many other suggestions. Gifford
WYDave
Posted 4/16/2007 14:42 (#137852 - in reply to #137837)
Subject: RE: getting diesel fuel odor out of clothes

Wyoming

Fels Naptha soap.

BTW -- Fels works great at stripping the oils from poison ivy and poison oak off your skin. I recommend keeping a bar in the shop for these purposes. 

dpdee13
Posted 4/16/2007 16:32 (#137877 - in reply to #137837)
Subject: RE: getting diesel fuel odor out of clothes

Simple Green works as well as Purple Power or the Castrol degreaser product. Goop or any of the hand cleaners works well as a pre wash. Rub it into the diesel stain and let is sit for a while, then wash in Simple Green/laundry detergent mix. Don't wash with any other clothes. I normally wash my diesel clothes in a bucket of hot water first so I don't get the smell in the washing machine. I don't mind the smell but my wife wouldn't like it if the rest of the wash came out smelling like #2.

Dave
averagejoe
Posted 4/16/2007 17:51 (#137893 - in reply to #137877)

Minnesota
I have never had any luck with Simple Green taking odor out. I had the smell on my winter jacket, three years now and I can still just barely smell it. I wish I new how to remove it?
Grow
Posted 4/16/2007 18:43 (#137907 - in reply to #137893)

A drop of Nil Odor will kill the diesel smell.
Don't use too much as it will reek worse than the diesel.
wayler
Posted 4/16/2007 20:22 (#137940 - in reply to #137837)

Wy
I have had good luck removing diesel smell and grease by using a generous scoop of Sears soap, plenty of Simple green and Oxyclean. Hang the item on the clothes line and it 'should' smell fresh!
caseihgirl
Posted 4/16/2007 20:53 (#137953 - in reply to #137877)
Subject: funny story

OUr 5250 Case loader tractor was having some power problems and it would shut off. We investigated and found something in the fuel line was preventing the flow of the fuel through the tractor. My dad got out the air hose and put it on the fuel line to blow it through. He did this a couple times and it was ok....so a few days later, same problem. He told me to come over and said the famous words "watch this" So i was ready...listening..waiting...and all of a sudden BOOM! The gas cap flew off drenching me in diesel! I screamed and my dad said "what are you whining about its just a little diesel fuel!" Then he turns and looks at me....diesel dripping out of my hair! Literally dripping! all over my face and i just threw the clothes.We both were about on the ground rolling and laughing! We still laugh about it!

Edited by caseihgirl 4/17/2007 18:45
hillfarmer
Posted 4/16/2007 22:44 (#138036 - in reply to #137953)
Subject: RE: funny story

That is when a picture is worth a thousands words

the things that happen when we think we "know" what we are doing
Lil' Hoss
Posted 4/16/2007 22:56 (#138052 - in reply to #137940)

NESD
You might try a bottle of coke in the wash, It really does work to remove stains and smells.
farmboy99
Posted 4/16/2007 23:33 (#138088 - in reply to #137837)
Subject: Odoban

SE South Dakota
My wife says http://www.odoban.com/
Jim
Stewart Crout
Posted 4/17/2007 03:26 (#138155 - in reply to #138088)
Subject: RE Fuel shower

During my short carreer in the Airforce as a aircraft maintenance technician on T-37's at Laughlin AFB Del Rio Tx, one of our tasks were to go around and refuel jets. T-37's have a refueling point on the top of each wing where you pop the cap off and hold the nozzle in the tank (over the wing refueling) then squeeze the lever, just like fueling a tractor but these nozzles were big. One person on each wing refueling. Things were qoing great until the fuel pump on the truck SURGED.........The nozzle lever locked in the wide open position, blew the nozzle out of the tank before I knew it and was pumping fuel into the wind which was blowing my direction. I was literally dowsed from head to toe, my boots had enough fuel in them that they would slosh as I walked. I was givin a ride back to my dorm in the back of the pick-up which was against base policy and took my clothes and threw them in a bag and into the dumpster. Took several showers that day!!!!!!

There's a website on home remedies that someone had found when this subject was discussed many moons ago, I'll try and find it.
Stewart Crout
Posted 4/17/2007 04:17 (#138160 - in reply to #138155)

http://ohioline.osu.edu/outside/stainrem.html
google; home stain remedies
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)