AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If deer whistles bother the deer, why don't the dogs in the PU complain??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jakescia
Posted 9/26/2010 11:35 (#1374760)
Subject: If deer whistles bother the deer, why don't the dogs in the PU complain??

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

Although we were not at "highway speed" this morning------------the Lab was resting his chin on the mirror where the whistles are attached.......................but he has done the same on the highway..............

I have noticed that sometimes he seems to be hard of hearing..................or maybe that is just having "selective hearing"...............kind of like the Blonde...............

Top of the page Bottom of the page
JohnW
Posted 9/26/2010 13:25 (#1374868 - in reply to #1374760)
Subject: Deer whistles ..

NW Washington
I don't think the deer whistles bother deer either. They sound bogus to me and I think research bears that out.

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb1677/eb1677.html
FarmerFrank
Posted 9/26/2010 13:54 (#1374895 - in reply to #1374868)
Subject: Re: If deer whistles bother the deer, why don't the dogs in the PU complain??

NE Iowa
You whistle to call the dog, don't you? Figured thats what the deer whistles do also, call the deer!...:)
Jon Hagen
Posted 9/26/2010 14:06 (#1374917 - in reply to #1374895)
Subject: Re: If deer whistles bother the deer, why don't the dogs in the PU complain??

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
My buddy ran the local auto salvage yard and was the default wrecker service for the area. I asked him what he thought of the "deer whistles " ?

He sais he loves them, their on almost every deer smashed rig he drags back to his yard. ;-)

Seriously though, I read that there are very few spots on a car / pickup where the whistle sees good clean air flow ahead and behind to make it whistle. Sticking it on the bumper, two inches ahead of body sheetmetal will not work ;-)

Edited by Jon Hagen 9/26/2010 14:10
Illinois John
Posted 9/26/2010 14:29 (#1374941 - in reply to #1374760)
Subject: RE: If deer whistles bother the deer, why don't the dogs in the PU complain??

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois
jakescia - 9/26/2010 10:35

Although we were not at "highway speed" this morning------------the Lab was resting his chin on the mirror where the whistles are attached.......................but he has done the same on the highway..............

I have noticed that sometimes he seems to be hard of hearing..................or maybe that is just having "selective hearing"...............kind of like the Blonde...............

Jake, an old joke described a young guy walking down the street snapping his fingers.  People would ask him, "Why do you snap your fingers while you walk?"

His reply, "Because it keeps the elephants away!"

Countered by, "I don't see any elephants"!

Young guy replies, "It works, doesn't it!"

Deer whistles are similiar, they work where there are no deer, where there are deer, they don't work.

Edited by Illinois John 9/26/2010 14:30
Gerald J.
Posted 9/26/2010 18:07 (#1375085 - in reply to #1374760)
Subject: Because there's nothing odd to hear.

Because there's nothing odd to hear. The makers claim ultrasonics, but call 3 kHz and 12 kHz ultrasonic (which to my ears didn't being until over 22 kHz) which might be ultrasonic to a senior citizen who has worked in a airplane factory running a rivet gun 40 years. http://www.deercrash.com/Toolbox/CMToolboxWhistles.pdf summarizes several reports and comes to the conclusion that deer can't hear at 12 kHz and that the 3 kHz whistles are almost as loud as ordinary vehicle noise (neglecting the noise of a gravel road).

In one test conducted in a refuge, there was less deer notice on the second pass with whistles than on the first vehicle pass with no whistle.

The general conclusion is that they have no effect, the extreme conclusion is that they are a scam, like magnets on fuel lines and water lines, and millions of loose change in Nigerian banks looking for a new owner.

Gerald J.
pat-michigan
Posted 9/26/2010 18:25 (#1375108 - in reply to #1374760)
Subject: RE: If deer whistles bother the deer, why don't the dogs in the PU complain??

Thumb of Michigan
No clue why the dog doesn't hear them.

I won't own a vehicle w/o deer whistles. Opinion originally came from a friend who owns a bunch of trucks. First thing they install. Cost him less than $6, each deer confrontation was averaging over $1400. He thinks the whistles are pretty cheap insurance. Has 2 trucks running the UP daily, accidents dropped 80% with the whistles. Have to keep them clean, they swab them out every oil change. For myself, I don't know if they've prevented any wrecks or not. I drive in deer country daily, for $6 or $8 for the whistles the whistles seem pretty cheap.
BFarms2
Posted 9/26/2010 21:58 (#1375436 - in reply to #1374760)

I am sure deer whistles work. Had a friend put them on his motorcycle and I teased him about it. He never hit a Deer and I did. I am luck to be here to tell you to go buy you some of those whistles. Now he reminds me about it all the time. After the accident another friend made one for my pickup and put it on my truck at coffee one morning.

(S5004634 (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments S5004634 (Small).jpg (44KB - 166 downloads)
livinthedream
Posted 9/26/2010 22:15 (#1375471 - in reply to #1374760)

Macoupin county Illinois
I hit 2 deer last year before i realized i had accidentally installed my deer whistles backwards and was attracting them.
play in the dirt
Posted 9/26/2010 23:04 (#1375563 - in reply to #1375436)

south central IOWA
That's a good friend. Might be wrong but it looks like a beer can. Might work better with a beer bottle turned sideways. You know the sound they make. :-)
murdock
Posted 9/27/2010 08:40 (#1375856 - in reply to #1375436)

Ontario, Canada
Is that a deer whistle or a beer whistle?
efarm
Posted 9/27/2010 09:01 (#1375884 - in reply to #1375471)

Saskatchewan
like putting batteries in a flashlight backwards makes a blackhole.
stevepfrm
Posted 9/27/2010 19:44 (#1376312 - in reply to #1374760)

Norton,KS
Only car I put the whistles on is the one I hit a deer the same week, but at one time I had hit a deer with every vehicle on the farm. I am a firm believer in lead poisoning for the "range rodents".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)