AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

seized fuel injector pump
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hillfarmer
Posted 4/17/2006 16:17 (#5922)
Subject: seized fuel injector pump

Fuel pump man gave me the news that the low sulfur got my pump

what's the best lubricity additive to help in the future

CAV system

Hope the electronic injectors hold out better
Top of the page Bottom of the page
WYDave
Posted 4/17/2006 16:50 (#5927 - in reply to #5922)
Subject: RE: seized fuel injector pump

Wyoming

Can you fill us in on what make/model pump seized up on you?

I've got a nasty hunch that we're going to be hearing of a lot of seized up older fuel pumps by the end of this year.

msb
Posted 4/17/2006 16:59 (#5928 - in reply to #5922)

Lapel, In
Best thing for those old pumps is at least 5% soy diesel.20% would be even better.Standedyne has a good additive for what you have left in your tank.
oliver459
Posted 4/17/2006 18:34 (#5936 - in reply to #5922)

We put one quart of oil in a fill up, it seems to work.
Redwrench
Posted 4/17/2006 22:05 (#5994 - in reply to #5922)

Hillfarmer, while soydiesel has shown to have more lubricity than the "hydro-cracked" diesel we are getting nowdays, it does nothing whatsoever for water problems, algae growth, etc. It seems to me that one of the better products is Stanadyne Performance Formula additive, and I would also use Racor Biocide or a similar product to kill the kritters. We are seeing lots of on-highway vehicles add an auxiliary 2 to 4 micron fuel filter to address the issue of micro-particles that are currently in the US diesel supply. Cat did a study on their electronic injector failures, and determined it was the 3-5 micron particles that are causing wear and premature fuel system failures...especially at the extreme pressures required for common rail and HUEI systems. Well, unfortunately most of our current diesel engines come factory-equipped with at best a 10-micron filter... kind of lets a lot of the really damaging stuff through. One fuel supplier in Ohio had some testing done on the diesel he sells, and found the average gallon of diesel has 47 MILLION contaminant particles in it... that's 47 million per gallon. That makes you think a gallon of diesel would just be kind of like a gallon of liquid slush, but I will post a link to his study if I can figure out links on this new website. http://www.heavydutytrucking.com/2003/10/078a0310.asp

I own a Duramax pickup, and recently purchased a 2-micron Racor auxiliary fuel filter for it,. and every tankful gets a shot of Standayne Performance Formual and Racor Biocide. I think of it as cheap insurance compared to the cost of an electronic fuel system failure.

Edited by Redwrench 4/17/2006 22:17
ChrisTN
Posted 4/18/2006 07:34 (#6061 - in reply to #5922)
Subject: Re: seized fuel injector pump

Ethridge, TN
Originally, the new diesel standard was to start in April, they lowered the Sulfur content again. I tried to find out if the fuel we are now getting is on the new standards, but the fuel guys don't seem to have a clue. It's just what ever is coming off the tanker, out of the pipeline. Does anyone happen to know if they stayed on schedule with this?? There could very well be some very interesting fuel system problems this year.

Unless they have changed it, the industry standard delivery for diesel is 10 micron. One reason Deere has gone to recommending you now change the fuel filters when changing oil on the newer series tractors, and that's if it lasts that long.
dave morgan
Posted 4/18/2006 08:14 (#6072 - in reply to #6061)

Somerville, Indiana
Cat has been moving toward 'tighter' fuel filters for a couple years...Good idea to change every 100 hours, pain to change them but economical feasible.
Mike Shimek
Posted 4/18/2006 10:09 (#6104 - in reply to #5922)

High Springs, Florida
I've put the Caterpillar 2 micron on my Duramax, between tank and OEM filter. (1R0750 or 749) I have found an injector cleaner/lubricity additive that Chevron makes. Stanadyne makes a lubricity additive, purple bottle.

Edited by Mike Shimek 4/18/2006 10:12
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)