AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody dealt with shingles
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kmk
Posted 7/27/2009 19:45 (#790394)
Subject: Anybody dealt with shingles

West Central IL
Just got back from the Dr and have shingles,knew I had been achy on one side lately and thought I had broke out on my side like I usually do when I scooped and swept out a bin a couple of weeks ago.Anybody been thru them?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bmcpherson
Posted 7/27/2009 20:04 (#790421 - in reply to #790394)
Subject: Re: Anybody dealt with shingles

yes i have this spring, did you catch them intime to get a shot to ease the pain and to soften the break out?

I tore my shoulder up lifting someting over my head and i broke out with a blotch on my upper arm on the side i hurt my shoulder. was about the size of a half dollar, hten i had a cut on my palm and had spot there about the size of a half dollar. I got them during planting while the one on my palm is completely gone the one on my arm are still there, they are dry and prolly just going to end up as scars but you can still see them. Man once they started comeing to the surface they itched the one on my palm came up under the healing tissue of the cut adn swelled up the size of a golf ball, I treated the same as my arm and finally i hit it on something accidentally and it popped and it healed a lot faster.

My sis is a nurse practicioner and said the best treatment for htem was to go to walmart and get some abreva it is expensive and treat it 3 times a day. man does it work. Takes the itching away and numbs some of the soreness. Shingles affect everyone differently some have no pain some had major pain. The breakout on my arm had not pain but the one on my palm was horrible. But the abreva works. Also on a side not if you pop one wash it with peroxide as it will spred like a chicken pox. and they never cross ot the other side of the body, it is a viral nerve condition. if it on your right side, you will not break out on your left side. and htey are only contagious for the first 72 hrs.

Hope this helps
Brad
JohnW
Posted 7/27/2009 20:06 (#790422 - in reply to #790394)
Subject: RE: Anybody dealt with shingles

NW Washington
I know that if you have ever had chicken pox you can come down with shingles in later life. There is a shot you can get to prevent shingles, but Medicare won't cover it for us old geezers. I think I am going to go ahead and pay for the shot and try to avoid shingles. Here is some info. Much more can be found on www.google.com.
You have my sympathy.

http://www.shinglesinfo.com/shingles-symptoms.html?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_...
kmk
Posted 7/27/2009 20:28 (#790445 - in reply to #790394)

West Central IL
Never had the itch just some spots on my back that came around my side to the front,they are already drying up but still have the muscle soreness around where the spots are.Have been too busy the last few weeks with my mom who is fighting cancer so I didn't pay too much attention to what was going on with me,she has had shingles before and didn't think what I had looked like shingles to her.
Red/Green
Posted 7/27/2009 20:33 (#790450 - in reply to #790445)

Elizabethtown,KY
I got them a year ago at corn planting time, had them on the right side of my abdomen around to the back, it took about 8 weeks to get over the itching, it felt like I had bees stinging me from the inside out the 2nd and 3rd week. I have been weaker and more tired ever since I had them, doc says that is one of the side effects. Do a Google search, lots of info about them. I have a friend who got them last winter and they got into his right eye, he is still having problems with his.
RJG
Posted 7/27/2009 20:35 (#790453 - in reply to #790394)

Galva, IL----- Half way between Peoria & Moline
Came down with shingles last fall after a cortizone shot to help a rotator cuff surgery I had in June. Back had that queesy feeling, then a rash started under the arm. Thought it was a reaction to the shot. Went to dr. said it was shingles, started antibotics. My gosh, NEVER had such PAIN in all my life!!! Had several surjuries, broken bones, and the like, but never kike that. During harvest, I carried a sandwich bag with corn starch to rub on to keep dry. That whole thing lasted a good six weeks to start calming down. Good luck, check out WWW.WEB-MD.COM. Hope this help a little, Bob
bdkalt
Posted 7/27/2009 21:11 (#790492 - in reply to #790453)

sd
thats funny i came across this post...i was 20 this spring when i got them...after i broke out i got into the doctor right away and got them cleared up in a week, the pain anyways....i can feel that pain coming back right now....just havent felt right for the past week and now that exact pain is coming in the exact spot....from what i understand this pain can go on forever....i dont think i will break out again though
kmk
Posted 7/27/2009 21:17 (#790498 - in reply to #790492)

West Central IL
Ya,the Dr told me since I never got treatment and have actively had them for at least the last 2 weeks the pain may not ever completely go away.....yippee!!!
Red/Green
Posted 7/27/2009 22:16 (#790607 - in reply to #790498)

Elizabethtown,KY
I will echo what RJG said, this was the worst pain I have ever endured and I have had a broken arm, broken ankle and broken nose over the years, they were all a cakewalk compared to shingles.
steadyman
Posted 7/27/2009 22:26 (#790636 - in reply to #790422)

Treynor IA
The vacination won't completely protect you from shingles but it will lessen your chances of getting them. If you do get shingles the shot will lessen the severity of of them. I got the shot last year. It cost $207 out of my pocket but after seeing my mother and father have them I was more than willing to spend the money.
John 86
Posted 7/27/2009 22:37 (#790674 - in reply to #790394)
Subject: RE: Anybody dealt with shingles

Seaforth, Ontario

Funny (not) that you post that now. My sister has been going through a bad dose for 3 weeks, getting better but worst I ever heard. From the middle of her chest, under arm, over shoulder and on left shoulder blade. She's going to scar bad. Her husband confirmed his case today, but only small area on his right shoulder and neck. STRESS. She was scheduled from knee replacement in December when hubby had to go for quick prostate surgery (done within 3 weeks). He took early retirement from job,cost him some pay, but had to be done. He came home from hospital to find basement flooded; previous owner and builder said never have water problem, so don't need sump pump. Of course, insurance company said you're on your own; but did settle for partial loss. House was mess for 6 weeks. And he's been having trouble getting things under control, so all totalled a recipe for shingles. Sister is taking Lyrica (sp) for nerve pain and both are using some cream. Those two are very thankful for Canadian health care.

BTW, I had shingles at age 40, shortly after being diagnosed as diabetic; mild, nothing like my sister.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)