AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oriole Bird feeder
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Allan-Ont
Posted 6/7/2009 14:02 (#735683)
Subject: Oriole Bird feeder

Rugby Ontario Canada
A neighbour is wondering where and how high to hang a oriole feeder off the ground to attract some oriole's . Right now he has it hanging from a stand for a hanging basket about 3' off the ground close to 2 good sized apple trees and doesn't seem to be getting any birds coming to the feeder even though there are 2 hanging around . There is 3 cats around the place to but they don't seem to bother any birds around other feeders he has around . Thanks for any help folks .
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Norbachf
Posted 6/7/2009 14:10 (#735693 - in reply to #735683)
Subject: Re: Oriole Bird feeder

WC MN
you have to be patient with them but I would say it would be better higher.Do you know the easiest way to feed orioles is put out grape jelly in some sort of cup.I have mine of the corner of the deck about 7 ft high.
amsunshine
Posted 6/7/2009 14:24 (#735710 - in reply to #735693)

Blooming where I am planted!
Thanks Galen for the tip. I was very surprised to see one land on my finch feeder the other day--first time I've seen one here, ever! Now I'm trying to attract them. I put some grape jelly out on a plastic lid on the table out on my patio but have seen nothing so far. Guess I need to put the feeder higher like you said.
rebuilder
Posted 6/7/2009 14:31 (#735718 - in reply to #735710)
Subject: Re: I have to laugh a little.......

Bourbon,Indiana

....Mom has been trying to entice the Baltimore's for several years and their numbers are increasing.  We have several acres under some high voltage lines and between woods which Dad & I have been planting bird/wild life mixes for many years . I joke with Mom though. By the time she is done setting out the birdfood, I tell her I will not have to worry about meals. I'll just go eat in the woods with all the Oranges/ jelly / peanut butter etc....!!

edit: I also found it hilarious that the kids get "walmart" jelly, while the " Welches " is for the birds.

Edited by rebuilder 6/7/2009 14:34
Norbachf
Posted 6/7/2009 14:43 (#735729 - in reply to #735718)

WC MN
I took 2 pieces of wood cut a round whole just bigger than a tuna can and placed it on top of the other same sized piece of wood.So the can fits down in the top piece.Then I mounted it on a 7 ft treated 2by 4 like a t it work great .Oh another tip you can dilute the jelly in half using water if you have a mixer of some sort.Another thing that brings them in is cut oranges in half stick in crotches of trees.
Chuck WI
Posted 6/7/2009 15:17 (#735754 - in reply to #735683)

Our Oriole feeder is right outside the Kitchen window, within a foot of the glass. Grape jelly and a hummingbird feeder bring the Orioles.
We have several pair that visit regularly. Also quite a few hummingbirds are regular visitors.
Chuck
amsunshine
Posted 6/7/2009 15:28 (#735762 - in reply to #735754)

Hm, do hummingbirds like the grape jelly too?
Norbachf
Posted 6/7/2009 15:58 (#735779 - in reply to #735762)

WC MN
humming birds like anything sweet but is easier for then to eat liquid and the do not ussually land to eat.Sometime maybe.
tallgrassneil
Posted 6/7/2009 15:59 (#735780 - in reply to #735683)

West Texas
We always have orioles sponging off the hummingbird feeders, as well as house finches. If they weren't so darn pretty, we'd have to chase 'em off, they slurp up the feeder sugar water by the gallon, seems like. Forget the jelly, just hang up hummingbird feeders and keep 'em filled.
steadyman
Posted 6/8/2009 07:37 (#736623 - in reply to #735683)
Subject: RE: Oriole Bird feeder

Treynor IA
Our feeder is about 10 feet from the house and four feet from the ground. We have lost of cats but the birds don't seem to mind.

(001_Vga.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 001_Vga.JPG (101KB - 222 downloads)
amsunshine
Posted 6/8/2009 08:19 (#736660 - in reply to #736623)

Boy that looks like a beautiful setup you have. sigh..............
jps51248
Posted 6/8/2009 10:29 (#736791 - in reply to #736623)

nw Iowa
Have any of you used the upside down finch feeder. Fun to watch the finch learn to use it. We use the grape jelly for the Orioles. Humming birds get the suger water mix!!! jps
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)