AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poly water tank leaking, any fix?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

J & R Ranch
Posted 5/31/2009 10:07 (#728168)
Subject: Poly water tank leaking, any fix?

SE South Dakota
We have a supply tank for our sprayer that is leaking. We have tried JB water weld and a couple other things. They hold till the tank is full and come off. My guess is the tank expands a little and they get loose and come off. It is just a pin hole but its right by a crease which makes it a little more difficult.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
agboy
Posted 5/31/2009 10:15 (#728174 - in reply to #728168)
Subject: RE: Poly water tank leaking, any fix?

Flandreau, SD
drill a hole and put a rubber washer bolt in it?
Buster 50
Posted 5/31/2009 10:58 (#728210 - in reply to #728168)
Subject: Re: Poly water tank leaking, any fix?

North West IA/western AZ
There is a plastic welder available. What age is the tank? Is it time to bite the bullet and get a new one? If it's portable there is a lot of pressure on any "fix" you try.
CKSteve
Posted 5/31/2009 11:33 (#728231 - in reply to #728210)

South of the Wind Farm, North of the oil fields
If fiberglass just get a repair kit from an auto parts supplier like Autozone and put on multiple layers.
Diesel95
Posted 5/31/2009 13:54 (#728322 - in reply to #728168)

I have used a product called Geoseal in the past on actual cracks in poly water tanks. When they were cracked we drilled small holes on either end of the crack and also along side of the crack and first stitched the tank with mechanics wire then painted on the Geoseal with a brush. The first tank we did that to was a stationary water tank for spraying and we never used it on a trailer again(didn't want it moving and shaking) but it lasted another 5 yrs like that. Have done several since then for similar purposes and have had decent luck. We got the Geoseal at the local True Value, I know they still have it, we used some last summer.
macfarms
Posted 5/31/2009 14:22 (#728334 - in reply to #728210)

sc kansas
Agree there is a plastic weld that is marine aproved and is water proof. Bought some yesterday at the local hardware store. It looks like mangasteel and has to be neaded like magnasteel.
plowboy
Posted 5/31/2009 14:58 (#728361 - in reply to #728168)

Brazilton KS
If the tank is still good, you can weld it and have it end up as good as you want to work to get it. The weld material should be as strong as the original material, it's just a matter of getting a good joint. If it is old and brittle, may as well throw it away. If it has been in chemical use, it is sometimes very difficult to get it to weld well, but water tanks that are not ancient usually weld pretty well.

I wouldn't give a nickel for any of the miracle cure products. It's just like steel or aluminum....you can weld it with the same filler material and fix it, or you can waste your time with some sort of putty and end up with it so contaminated that it's impossible to weld when you are done.
Von WC Ohio
Posted 5/31/2009 18:33 (#728467 - in reply to #728168)

Do you have room to drill a hole in the tank that eliminates the pinhole or is too close to the crease ?

If so put a bulkhead fitting in place and then use a pipe plug in the bulkhead fitting. The hole for the bulkhead fitting should remove the pinhole and solve that issue.

I see this place also has a poly patch kit as well as a poly repair gun kit in you want to try this option.

It's a PDF page that shows bulkhead fittings, the poly patch kit and the poly repair gun.

http://www.sprayers.com/SprayerCat_2007/191-192.pdf

Ks-notill
Posted 5/31/2009 19:05 (#728480 - in reply to #728168)

we took our sprayer tank to the local body shop and they repaired it, it lasted another 4 years till we traded it off this winter. Not wure what kind pf epoxy they used, it was black.
plowboy
Posted 5/31/2009 20:25 (#728525 - in reply to #728467)

Brazilton KS

Holy cow...they are proud of that welder.  I know ours was under $50.  Looks identical to that one. 

2.5 gallon jugs are polyethelene, the same material as sprayer tanks.  I just take a scissors to an empty jug and make my own 'rod' because the day I wanted to use it the first time I couldn't seem to find any HDPE rod anywhere locally.  

Buster 50
Posted 6/1/2009 19:49 (#729493 - in reply to #728525)

North West IA/western AZ
Harbor Freight has the welder for $70 now in Sioux City.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)