AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

7720 II keeps tearing up belt
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SilverDollar
Posted 8/21/2008 09:59 (#439846)
Subject: 7720 II keeps tearing up belt

Claypool, IN
I have a 7720 Titan ll that I've run in corn, soybeans, and wheat for 8 years. I had a 7700 before that, so I'm fimilar with these green models. We're in northern Indiana. My problem started last year while running green stem beans. For the first time, the belt on the variable speed cyl. drive and the intermediate drive came apart. Thinking it was age, approx. 4200 hrs., I replaced the belt. It was about a half day job.

I ran that belt in the same tough bean conditions for less than 50 acres and it broke again. This time I dismantled things and had a JD mechanic help me rebuild it, thinking I might have missed something. He indicated that after harvest, I should rebuild the spring loaded lower sheave assyembly. Due to lack of funds, was waiting util this summer for the rebuild. I ran 40 ac of wheat, no problem, except I noticed the cyl. tach indicating the belt was slipping again. ...I was talked into running some oats for a nieghbor. It was weedy (tough conditions like the green stem beans). Well, the same belt broke again, about 100 hrs. Tore things down, rebuilt the lower assembly, replaced the upper-outer sheave due to grooving, checked alignment, and put it back together hoping I had solved my problem with a proper rebuild. Finished running the oats, not happy with the results. Cyl. tach indicates the belt is still slipping. I'm just not getting the capacity that I've been used to for all these years.

Long post to get to my question. Has anyone had similar problems and what have you done to improve the situation? Variable cylinder drive is the same for the 8820s. Any similar experience or suggestions is appreciated.

Silver Dollar
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)