AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic soil health
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jrditchdigger
Posted 5/16/2021 11:21 (#9008074)
Subject: Organic soil health

Southern MN
Am planting our organic corn field today. First year transition was corn in 2019 with hog manure, obviously no commercial chemicals or fertilizers. Broadcast a light rate of rye fall of 19. Last year harvested 2/3 of the Rye and planted soybeans and crimped into 1/3 of it. Disked harvested part periodically in august to keep weeks down, no cover. Hog manure again last fall. Worked it once in March this year to knock down the volunteer rye, worked it yesterday once again and am planting it this morning. To my surprise it is the absolute most beautiful soil I have ever planted into. My wife’s tilled garden has never been this nice, and the whole field is the same. Is this a one year fluke, in part because we have had no heavy rains this year? Does the use of chemicals and anyhdrous really make that much difference? I just can’t see how after only 2 years of chemical free could make that much difference. Our conventional tillage system had better than usual soil conditions also but nothing like this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)