AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

challenger 965 C Transmission oil problem need advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MF57
Posted 5/4/2021 22:36 (#8987961)
Subject: challenger 965 C Transmission oil problem need advice

east central saskatchewan
Our 965 C approached 5000 hours and we thought it was time to change transmission oil, last change was around 3500 hours .
old oil was AGCO permatrain 872 semi synthetic 10 w 30.
We did some research and our cat dealer recommended Cat TO 4 which is a straight w 30 oil.
due to a screwed and very inconclusive manual we ordered not enough oil. book says 40 gallons on one page and in fact it is 40 imperial gallons
or 48 us . So after draining the transmission and both axles it takes about 50 gallons. We filled 6,5 gallons then started it to pump oil into the axles and added another 5 gallons. then I took the tractor out and drove it slowly to follow the instruction to get the correct fill level. So far so good , but I had to add more oil, I did not have enough TO 4 , so I called the dealer if I could use AGCO permatrain instead which I did I added 10 gallons permatrain and after that the low oil level warning came on. I never had that warning, apparently the oil starts foaming, thus the sensor calls for low oil level. we opened the fill level plugs on both axles and there is a lot of foamy oil in the axles. Right now there is more oil in the transmission than required. I let the tractor sit for 5 hours and the foam was gone in the axles and in the sght gauge on the rear back side of the transmission. I restarted the tractor and after 10 minutes the foaming was back.
So I think the two oils cannot mixed because the foam suppressant additives somehow counter act or cancel each other. I am planning to drain all the oil again and refill with cat TO 4 or equivalent. I like to hear some thought from you guys.

Tia Martin
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)