AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MGA - stocker calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Lb94
Posted 2/18/2021 14:29 (#8842344)
Subject: MGA - stocker calves

West Central Illinois
Did a little reading in some of the post history on here about MGA but couldn't really find what i was looking for. Mostly was regarding MGA for feedlot heifers. I take light heifer feeders and start them in winter and late summer/early fall then graze them accordingly (usually 6 months-ish per group) feeding around 1% their bodyweight in either gluten pellets or ddg's.

Anyway it's time to order a pallet of mineral and was going to have this batch mixed up custom already to cut down the Phosphorous in order to more easily balance the CA:P ratio since I already get too much Phosphorous from the gluten/ddgs which i have to balance with the additional cal. carbonate. They've mentioned they could add MGA to my mix as well since these are exclusively heifers. Mainly looking at it from the feed efficiency/gains standpoint they're not mixed with any steers/bulls and I abort them all at their first round of shots and they never will see a bull/steer even from the day they're bought at the sale barn until the day they come back to the sale barn.

Has anyone else fed MGA to stocker heifers like this? Any idea what the increased gains were? Just wanting to see if it would be enough to justify the additional cost. Any other benefits I'm missing out on? Also this is a small operation so pretty limited blending anything at a really low inclusion rate safely which is why i'd rather it be mixed in the mineral.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)