AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Frozen water pipe story
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mikado
Posted 2/15/2021 17:42 (#8834893)
Subject: Frozen water pipe story

SW WI
The question of a wood stove in a calving shed got me thinking about all the things that can go wrong with fire/ barns/ bedding and livestock. Story my now passed on FIL told me.

So think of a 1950’s 2 story hog barn. The upstairs packed with straw, main floor hogs and a storage area of sacked hog feed. Canvas sacks. That was right where the metal water pipe came up from under the footing, cement floor and ran overhead then on down to hog waterer. Well, since where the pipe came up out of the floor was right next to the double doors. It had a tendency to freeze in drastic cold spells and if not quite enough or big enough hogs were in the barn. This is before kerosene torpedo heaters and LP cylinders or heat lamps.....well, maybe they were around but my FIL didn’t have that. So what did he do to get that pipe thawed?......wrapped his canvas feed sacks right at the base....and lite it up.

I can’t imagine that.....so many flammable things around and playing with open flame.

But it worked, barn is still here today, although repurposed.

He had to thaw it out other times and he told about few shelled off corncobs, piling them around appropriate spot and again lite it up.

I guess you do what you have to do.

Edited by mikado 2/15/2021 17:49

(IMG_20201103_140723578 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20201103_140723578 (full).jpg (203KB - 36 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)