AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

crp ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

timis
Posted 2/1/2021 14:56 (#8799458)
Subject: crp ground

Iowa
Have a farm I bought - with the flooding we had in 2018, 2019 -- I had more erosion along a creek than I'd like to see. Have considered putting that part in conservation reserve. The bad part is the floodplain is either the best or the worst part of this farm - most of the rest of it isnt really good. So when you have a "normal" year the flood plain does really well, but if its wet it isnt that good. Got a proposition from local NRCS office to put some into reserve (I'd asked them about it) -- now wondering with the new administration (not wanting to turn this political) wanting to do more "green" practices -- am I better off waiting a year or two before doing this -- I'm thinking there may be a better payment in a couple years, especially with prices up. I think in 2012 timeframe there were some farms put in where the program money basically made the land payment.

Also this year I noticed some of the good floodplain was really poor -- this was an area that had silt deposited. Neighbor said that in the past that usually wrecks that area for a number of years -- any comments on that? I know 2019 was really shocking how much dirt moved -- I'd guess it wasnt a net gain/loss, just movement. I think the beavers do more damage than the farming practices, wherever they make a slide, it blows a chunk of dirt away. Maybe a notill/covercrop would be a viable scenerio too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)