AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NRCS Soil Profile Accuracy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Bomber_Farmer
Posted 1/30/2021 20:02 (#8795112)
Subject: NRCS Soil Profile Accuracy

I am wondering if anyone has ever compared the accuracy of the NRCS soil profiles published online with your real world experiences with water retention (directions below). If this is accurate, I would think you could correlate it to your high dryland yield areas and possibly places on your land that may tend to stand water sooner than the rest because it saturates quicker.

Overall, do you think it's accurate enough to use as a discriminator in purchasing a new place? I have some anecdotal data that backs the profile up but that's a really small sample size. Curious of what other people think.

Here are the directions if you are interested in looking.

1. Click here --> https://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/app/WebSoilSurvey.aspx
2. Start on the "Area of Interest Tab" at the top
3. Go to "quick navigation" and throw in your lat/long from your farm (you can easily get this from google maps if you don't have it)
4. Click on the tiny red "AOI" box in the map navigation bar --> This should create a cyan colored grid over the map
5. The click "Soil Map" tab
6. It will kick out soil contours on the map, and on the left side it will give you an acreage breakdown of the different classifications of soil
7. Click on any of those classifications and it will give you a pop up of the soil profile
8. In that profile, it will give an "Available Water Capacity" and classifies it as "Low, Moderate, or High" and an associated number of inches

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)