AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

easier to read
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Test ForumMessage format

4WD
Posted 12/17/2020 17:52 (#8678092)
Subject: easier to read

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

Over the years reading everyone else's posts on striptill has given me the knowledge and confidence to transition to it myself, so I thought I would take the time to say thank you by sharing my experience to date and some pics.

Striptill has intrigued me for quite awhile but didn't know how I could implement it in my operation being all corn and applying hog manure on all acres. My journey began in the spring of 2017 by hiring some spring strips done to see how it worked. After planting into those strips I was hooked and knew I wanted to proceed that direction. In the summer of 2017 I bought an 8 row niffty ag p40 machine. Fall of 2017 I stripped a few acres on most farms to be able to compare the next spring.

After the spring of 2018 I was ready to jump all in. During the summer of 2018 I put together a 16 row machine with much help from several agtalkers. I purchased an orthman combo caddy cart found on agtalk classifieds, bought 8 more p40 row units through Ag VS in Lake Wilson, where I bought the 8 row machine, and bought a b&d toolbar through there as well which I believe was engineered by another agtalker. 

That brings me to the fall of 2018 and it's quite unfavorable weather which left me with virtually no strips made. I didn't know what I was going to do for the spring of 2019 but I knew planning on running a shank like niffty's in the spring in northwest Iowa probably wasn't going to be a good plan. Through much research here on agtalk and visiting with several of you I decided I needed to make some modifications to my row units. Working with a local machinist I cut the bottom of the shanks off. 

We then made plates to bolt them back on but also to bolt on other attachments. I made a coulter attachment to bolt in place of the shank, made a different design shank to run in the fall and also had other brackets made to be able to bolt a mole knife on. That brings me to the spring of 2019. With no fall strips done and the joy of 2019's spring, having coulters to use in place of shanks proved to be great option.

Looking back I think striptilling with coulters that spring was better option than any other form of tillage would have been. Fall of 2019 was another challenging one as well but by pulling a 40 foot wide implement versus 17.5 foot you can cover a lot more acres in an hour and I was able to get most of my acres stripped. 

This fall was such a nice change from the last several years that I stopped to took the time to take a few pictures and wanted to share them with everyone. I certainly don't have the knowledge or experience with striptill that many of you do but if I want to share what I do have to "pay it foward".

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)