AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stepping 38's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 7/9/2020 21:26 (#8364286)
Subject: Stepping 38's

East Central Arkansas

This traditionally  cotton country and back in the day cotton was mostly on 38 inch rows around here. Some was even on 40 inch but not really much around here I remember. A lot of furrow irrigated ground so most of it has beds pulled before planting. I know a lot of readers on here have never tried walking across bedded ground but I get to do my fair share of miles walking polypipe lines tending to irrigation. It seems as I age my stride is getting shorter. Walking across the rows ideally you want each step to land in the top of the bed. It's getting to be a stretch for me though. It seems every few steps I have to do a half step. Then there is those lines that run at a angle across the rows and you do half steps all the way across that line,  Those really wear on you and stepping down in that middle with one foot then on top of the bed with the other. Walking the middles are no fun either because of the furrow you are walking in. Can usually find the middle tractor drove in and it is somewhat better walking. Twin row beans on 38 inch beds now for us. Got a nice rain today and got to take a good long walk to cut off wells. Road in to shop was muddy from grading and pulling ditches so I didn't go in to get the 4 wheeler.  The rain will give us a few days to catch up on finishing up getting lines ready for irrigating.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)