AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I had a close call today, all my fault.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IowaMark
Posted 5/22/2020 20:28 (#8274081)
Subject: I had a close call today, all my fault.

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I’ve been cutting tress for over 4 decades and have never encountered trouble until today, all of my fault. I was clearing some volunteer trees that were in a cluster. There was 5-6 within a close proximity to each other. The sizes ranged from 6” to 12” in diameter. The wind was blowing pretty good clip and I was cutting a 12” x 25’ to30’ tall tree, I notched it like I’ve done to probably thousands of trees over the past 4 decades.

Normally I can get a tree to fall pretty close to where I want it to fall. Today’s problem was I had it falling into the wind or at least that’s what I wanted it to do. As I was cutting the tree it was starting to fall the way I wanted it to then it spun around and went 90
degree to the left, unfortunately for me I didn’t have a good escape route lined up like I know I should’ve. The tree landed up against me and pinned me against another tree. I was literally trapped in between the down tree and a standing tree. I could only move about 6” with my arms. The chainsaw was still running in my hands so I carefully cut the down tree close by to free me.

I do have some deep scratches and bruises on about 15” of my back. I can’t believe how fast the tree spun
around on me, I’m pretty sure the wind shifted at that time which caused me to get trapped.

I am thankful to be able to share my story with you, I know for a fact some people haven’t been as fortunate.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)