AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Eminent domain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ronsene
Posted 3/25/2009 12:09 (#656138)
Subject: Eminent domain

I recently found out that the county has taken action to acquire 40 acres of Nebraska farmland that I have have leased for the last 15 years. There is no chance for a 2009 corn crop to be harvested, as they want to begin dirt work in late summer. The county has been adamant that they WILL have possession of this land in the coming months either by a negotiated purchase price or condemnation proceedings. My inputs for this tract have already been purchased. I have not paid the cash rent, due in March, because of the county's actions (the owners were very understanding). I have received nothing in writing, regarding this situation, from either the county or the current owners, who are not willing participants in this acquisition process. In fact the owners provided me a handwriitten lease statement in February, so I could sign the land up in the farm program. Does anyone who has been thru a similar situation have any advice? Do I have a right to estimated forgone income on this tract or only my out of pocket expenses? Is it worth hiring an attorney for a couple hundred dollars an hour? Thanks in advance
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)