AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Newborn calf question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Cattailking
Posted 3/24/2020 20:40 (#8136279)
Subject: Newborn calf question

Had a calf born yesterday, watched it drop and immediately got it and the cow on good dry straw out of the wind but in the sunlight. After an hour it hadn’t got up so I brought him and mom into enclosed barn (they are still in there together) and turned the heat on. Got it to stand up and eventually walk but it would not look for milk. Finally locked mom in the head chute and tried for half an hour to get him to suck with no luck. Tubed it a quart of colostrum at 5 pm and another at 10 pm. This morning I got it up and mom presented herself to him and I attempted again to get him to suck again no luck. Tubed 2 quarts of colostrum at 10 am struggled with him all day with no luck and tubed 2 quarts of milk replacer at 8 tonight. He had never stood up on his own (that I know of) and seems to have no desire to live. I’ve tried everything I can think of doing have any of you guys had an experience like this? What should I try next? He is a nice big bull calf who doesn’t appear to have anything noticeably wrong with him.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)