AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How To Spot A Native Texan
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tallgrassneil
Posted 7/11/2019 22:10 (#7609811)
Subject: How To Spot A Native Texan

West Texas

Tommys post down below put me in mind of a tale that needs to be told. Fanfare, please.

When I was a little kid, somewhere around the late 1950's, I was taken along to a family reunion down in Irion County. The family patriarch had been among the very first settlers in the area, and had purchased land bordered by a creek lined with large pecan trees. There was a wooden table built between two of these trees, and each family brought their share of food and piled it onto this table, maybe 30' long. The shade provided by the trees provided dramatic relief from the intense sunlight (it was a typical Texas summer day).

I'm sure everybody on AgTalk knows how it goes when a bunch of people who haven't seen each other in a while all get together. I was lucky I didn't starve.

So anyway, eventually, everybody got fed, even me, and I was given a slice of watermelon for dessert. I wandered over to a log under the trees and plunked down next to great-uncle Hosmer and chowed down on my watery feast while old uncle Hop sipped discreetly from his "cough medicine" and watched the crowd. He poked me and said, "Can you spot the Texans? How about the Yankees?"

Yeah, like a little kid would know. He goes on, "See that bunch in the shade over there? Texans. You'll always find native Texans in the shade at every opportunity. See that other bunch over there in the sun? Yep. Yankees. Don't know any better, poor folks". Sip.

Edited by tallgrassneil 7/11/2019 22:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)