AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat behind Milo problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

versatile875
Posted 6/24/2019 08:54 (#7578789)
Subject: Wheat behind Milo problem

Western OK
We planted Milo this April(between monsoons) for the first time in quite a while and some of the fields will be sown back to wheat this fall. Everytime we have done this in the past besides one time we witnessed a pretty bad yeild drag on the wheat. Most of the time our early Milo comes off in late August or early September and we would notil wheat in the stalks sometime in October.
I first thought it was just lack of moisture but we got lots of rain one fall and winter and still seen the yield drag. So then we tried extra n. I sprayed an extra 30lbs actual n on right ahead of the drill with our herbicide. Still seen the yield drag.
Well one year I tried this lowsalt Foo foo fertilizer, you know the kind of stuff that has npk and micros, in furrow instead of our usual 7 gallon 10-34-0, and the yield drag was all but gone. I know nothing scientific like split field trials of anything, and I used it on all the acres so nothing else to compare it to.
So I guess what I'm asking is, do you guys have any other tricks to help the wheat behind Milo keep up? With the price of wheat and our usual low yield environment I don't wanna buy the high price fertilizer, but I need a way to not take the yield hit if possible.... Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)