AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help me put a low disturbance fertilizer bander together
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JChamb
Posted 5/24/2019 09:29 (#7517573)
Subject: Help me put a low disturbance fertilizer bander together

Iowa - Floyd County
Currently putting our fertilizer on with a NH3/Dry combo shank machine. It is basically a 3 point caddy with a dry bin on the tongue and a very heavy toolbar hanging on it. It has several downfalls, the biggest being that we are no-till and it moves too much dirt for my liking. It can also only be run in the fall which didn't work out well this past year. So I'm looking at putting together something different that is low disturbance and could be run Fall or Spring. We are looking at moving away from NH3 so possibly set it up to be able to run side dress urea as well.

I'm not really interested in a strip till unit just something that would work good for putting my fertilizer in the ground. To further complicate things we run 22" rows and a lot of continuous corn so there is a lot of trash to deal with. I assume if I want to be able to run it side dress I should be looking at a mounted toolbar with a pull behind cart of some sort? We currently run a pull type liquid side dress rig and it works ok but is in need of major repairs so that's why I'm thinking about that. What kind of row unit should I be looking at? Obviously a coulter of some sort will give me the least amount of disturbance. We do run RTK so would probably look at planting on our fertilizer "strip" whatever route we take. I am on a budget so I may be looking for used parts to put this together. Any thoughts, suggestions, or tips would be much appreciated!

Edited by JChamb 5/24/2019 13:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)