AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

can a hydraulic cylinder be used as an accumulator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

marktheblaster
Posted 5/22/2019 11:56 (#7512896)
Subject: can a hydraulic cylinder be used as an accumulator

I am building a feed mechanism for a core drill.The weight on the bit needs to be around 500 lbs. .This is a constantly fluctuating weight as each 5 ft. section adds 16 lbs. . I need to apply the down press. plus need to be able to pull up to snap the core (1 1/6 " die. @ 1000-1500 lbs. tensile strength + 250 lbs. rotating head + core barrel +total core rod (400 ft.@ 16 lbs.ft=600 lbs)+ possible accumulation of mud around bit = 3000 lbs of pull back minimum.This is why I need to put the push on the rod side of cylinder and lift with the larger area side. So far my cylinder has not dropped in air pressure in almost 24 hrs..The hydraulic shop has a book on seal compatibility and according to him, the seals in a typical cylinder are not compatible with Nitrogen.Hence the long term compatibility and use of Teflon.I KNOW NOT TO USE AIR! On another note concerning possibly a conversion from HC to HA,I would like to try removing the rod ,sealing the internal seals and plugging the wiper seal end with a welded ,nitrogen charging cap.This in theory would reduce leakage from the rod end, adding longevity to the charge.You might say " after all that messing around, just buy an accumulator!"Wellllll,accumulators are expensive (relatively) and it can be hard to find just the right size with the right dimensions.I would like to see some more input with real life installations with life performance results ,etc..Keep me in the loop.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)