AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planters and drills
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fly-N-Farm
Posted 5/22/2019 07:21 (#7512220)
Subject: Planters and drills

Bunker Hill, IL
I’ve currently got a 30’ no till drill and a 12 row planter. The size is about right and I like being able to plant beans and corn at the same time some years. I also drill wheat and cover crops, so I need a drill of some sort.
However, I think I’m leaning to thinking I’d spend less money on seed and have a much more uniform soybean emergence with a narrow row (15” planter?). The drill always ends up with some beans at the ideal depth, some at 2”, even a few at 3” sometimes, and they’re spread out enough that they don’t help each other get out of the ground. As far as yield, I’ve done tests vs. 30” beans and used a neighbors 15” planter, and the drill and 15” are identical with a decent stand. For wheat, I’m interested in planted narrow row wheat, but I’d think it takes 12” or narrower rows to achieve good winter wheat yields compared to a drill.

What is available (that would not cost 300K and weigh 50 tons) in the 30 to 45’ working width that would reliably no-till both corn and beans on different row spacing? It seems the split row planters have come and gone around here for whatever reason (too heavy?). I’m mostly just curious what is available and works well in this scenario as I havent paid much attention to the new seeding equipment in recent years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)