AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nothing new under the sun(Angus history)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

2 Bravo
Posted 2/11/2019 21:32 (#7314981)
Subject: Nothing new under the sun(Angus history)

With all the interest in the record breaking SAV bull, I thought some might find this old Angus Journal article interesting. Seems a lot of people have forgotten about Kazoo when talking about previous records. Or more likely, weren’t in the Angus business 40 years ago.

I wasn’t even born yet when the article ran in 1980, but my family’s first Angus production sale was 60 years ago in 1958. My grandpa and dad were on a first name basis with most of the people in this article. Dad loves to tell the story of how he was at the party when Eddie tried to buy Kazoo in Leroy’s basement bathroom.

Its easy to look at the weights and prices that are coming out of Schaff’s(and they are impressive) and feel like they are earth shattering. But the truth is the Angus breed has seen similar situations before. It seems like a lot of people are taking these adjusted weights as gospel, and not realizing these cattle don’t actually weigh what the formula’s are saying they are. There has been times in the past when “new” money has flowed to an operation taking the breed by storm, but everything settles out in the end.

Do Schaff’s have phenominal cattle? I believe so in some instances. We have been using SAV bulls since before Kelly took the reigns, and as of late the Rito bulls along with Universal have done a great job moderating some of our cows with more frame. The Charlo bulls, not so much. But as has been alluded to in recent posts, I don’t think the size is there that some people are expecting. Guys are getting bent out of shape saying “the bulls are too fat, the weights are ridiculous, the money’s dirty!” Well the bulls have been too big, the weights outlandish, and the money chasing the bright lights for 50 years. There is nothing new under the sun.

Hope you enjoy a little history:
http://www.angusjournal.com/articlepdf/06-0780_erdmann.pdf
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)