AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problem solving success
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

golfnut
Posted 1/19/2019 21:15 (#7257395)
Subject: Problem solving success

Central Nebraska

I have to post this as a bit of a pat on my own back.  I've been in the computer and networking world for nearly 20 years but almost always working on systems that I installed and understand.  Today we were eating supper at a nearby establishment with some friends.  The service was good and the food was great but part of our party had to wait a little longer than usual for their food.  At one point the owner stopped by and was visiting with part of our group and commented that their computers had been down all day.  The couldn't process credit or gift cards and their bar point of sale machine was totally down.  I kept my head down and enjoyed my food and heard her jokingly ask if my friends if they new any "computer people."  It took about 1 second and the entire table was pointing at me.  I finished my meal and offered to take a look a their system.  The power had been out overnight due to the ice storm so I suspected there was a hardware failure somewhere.  After about 5 minutes of poking around I came to the conclusion that half the ports on their network switch had failed.  I moved them to some open ports on the other side of the switch and everything took off........I could hear the wait staff yell "It's working!"

They were happy and gave me a gift card that I begrudgingly accepted it.  Those are the kinds of things that small towns are about.  Look out for each other.  Helping each other.  Be grateful for each other (which they were).

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)