AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SpeedQueen washing machine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

rancherman
Posted 1/18/2019 13:43 (#7253923)
Subject: SpeedQueen washing machine

Just  got my 'new'  Speedqueen  Washing machine last week.

7 yrs. ago,   in our haste to get a replacement  washer,  I  didn't do any  research, *really,   RESEARCHING A  CLOTHES WASHER??? 'C'MON.    

and  just happened to be in a Menards   when  the   Maytag Centennial   caught my eye.    Had  a  agitator,  and  was  CHEAP.  

not here to debate  front loads,  agitator style, or  HE  models....    Plenty of  Youtube  reviews on  each of those,  and   it's easy to see   by far  which one is  most effective.  There are some  very pissed off  appliance  manufacturers  because of  youtube..

Yes,   I've   stepped up my home needs   purchases  with  a little  forethought these days.

The Maytag  did alright.   for  75%  of  the  laundry.        It  struggled  on the   chore clothes.      Agitation  and turn over  was   weak.     HOT   doesn't mean  HOT,  it's still  blended.   Second rinse  needed to be manually  run if desired.

The  'Tags   suspension system was the last straw.    It'd  get off balance on a whim,     the lid lock prevented  me  from quickly  opening it up to re distribute the load    (must wait  FOREVER  for the tub to stop spinning before  it unlocks)         I rebuilt it  (suspension)  just before  Thanksgiving.  New suspension rods and springs.    I put in a new shifter  and  a new lid lock too.   Checked and  adjusted the  levelness of the machine.       All was   great for about  3 weeks.  Out of the blue,   the off balance  returned  with  a vengeance.     1  sock  was all it took  to  throw it off.     

Reading  reviews,    I  seen the  575 maytag commercial  was getting  pretty good reviews,  but I seen it  shared  the same  suspension design as my  house shaking  model..     Still  reeling  from the first maytag's   issues,   I  searched onwards.

Call me old fashioned,  but I still   had  preference to   top load, agitator  style machines.

Worked on a dairy  where  all the   cow towels   got  washed  in a   front load.   We could see it run  from the  milking pit,   and   got a good sense  on  the  'action'.       Yeah,  they  have their place.

Got   up-to-date  with the  Speed Queen  conundrum.    Seems   2017  was the LAST year for  their famous  design still available to the home use  consumer.    Call it  EPA  regulations,   or other gov't    requirements on  water/energy  reduction,  or  just   bowing to the profit minded  board of directors;   the bottom line,   the   old fashioned   deep  water,   transmission  agitation,  and  HOT water wash  days  are gone.

'discovered'  the    Commercial side of   SpeedQueen  is  still available.    the   Lwn432,  and it's   couple of  configurations.    Main differences  are if it's     manual controls,  or  electronic.

Still uses     2017  driveline  design,   controls.

Yes,   warrantee is  PARTS ONLY.

I opted for the   mechanical  timer/knob.    No   control board issues.     Cheaper to  buy,  cheaper to  replace if the  time comes.  

No lid lock.    Open the lid any time you want,  and  the brakes  come on  and it  stops.      

I've washed   a lot of things  this past week that  the ol 'tag  would've  curled up its toes at.   

This is the one I got;    https://www.appliancesconnection.com/speed-queen-lwn432sp115tw01.html       Found them  on another site for  about 150 bucks less,  but it involved  driving into  downtown  Chicago to pick up.  Pass.

DiscountBandit.com   has them for  about 10 dollars less,   but   may have to wait    on  shipping.

The one caveat,  is there is  NO  water level  adjustment.   Each  fill is  full.   Not  really an issue with my  crew,     we   wash full loads   anyway.     For about 30 bucks,   I could install  a water level switch,  mount it in the panel,   and  basically   have  a  Awn432.          I saw one of those  models    'no longer available',  new in box,  sell on Ebay last week for  almost $1900,  and the buyer  had to arrange shipping!!

This washer is getting my  clothes clean,  the FIRST  time.   and  they do  feel it too.    They are spun out;  the dryer is more effective.    I don't have  soft water,  so   the only thing  I have to help out,  is the  HOT water.      If it's  knocking the grease, manure out of my  work clothes,   then everything else is a slam dunk.

I don't get to   post much on  new purchases,  and     this machine  has me excited.  Weird.        I suppose  it's because  there were no surprises,  it does  what  washing machines  have done  for  60 yrs. 

Call it the   JD 4020  of  washing machines?   Yes, there are  rigs out there with more capacity,    horsepower,  bells and  whistles...     more 'efficient' perhaps...    some  cost  less, some  a lot more.    

All I know,  is it's   doin' the job,  and   it's  not  bouncing  across the   floor.   We can actually leave it unattended!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)