AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Commodity Shed vs Bulk Bins
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

William85
Posted 1/14/2019 09:31 (#7244345)
Subject: Commodity Shed vs Bulk Bins

Eastern Half of Ohio
We operate a 400 cow dairy (raise our own replacements) and currently use a couple 25 ton bulk bins and our bunker space for chopped straw. We are looking at adding a third commodity that would utilize a bulk bin. I am the junior partner in this deal aka son but think it might be time we look into a commodity shed. Anyone on here gone through this and could give me an idea on savings in freight per ton on meal, ddg, etc? Is there additional shrink/waste with a commodity shed that we need to consider? Are rodents much of an issue?

I am thinking concrete bay walls of 8 ft or so with curtains we could roll down on the front half way or so to keep the wind from blowing the straw around. I just want it to be neat, clean and get away from having to mess with augers and what not but if any savings can justify it financially I think I can convince Dad to move forward with it. Thinking 5 bays, so we would have room to add something down the road.

Current rate at FSA office on commodity storage facilities is 3.125% for a 7 to 12 year term ($500/month on the 12 year note). Hoping I can prove the savings in freight (dump/live floor versus bulk auger) justify the payments. We currently handle about 1300 tons through the bulk bins.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)