AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

salford vs. Joker
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

sandman
Posted 1/11/2019 09:15 (#7237082)
Subject: salford vs. Joker

ND
I currently have no vertical tillage on my farm and I have never owned a disk. I have 80% of my corn stalks from last falls "fun" harvest untilled. Have a deere chopping corn head. I am tossed between buying a joker,Degleman,kwik till or some form of that tillage tool. Those types of tools chop good and move lots of dirt and burn lots of fuel. The opposite end of the spectrum would be a salford 570RTS or the newer version I 1100 i think it is. This tool moves very little dirt and is classified as vertical tillage. I have been a get it black in the fall guy forever. I feel the cold soils in the RRV of ND will warm better in the spring being black BUT i have lost more soil this winter then probably the last 5 years combined. I have also been interested in cover crops and if you watch any of Abby Wick from NDSU videos you will be sold on reduced tillage. So here comes the dilemma is this reduced tillage, vertical tillage going to cause me a yield drag by not warming up in the spring? If all my soil blows away i have no yield. I have row cleaners on my planter so planting in heavy residue does not really scare me. With reduced tillage how do I get my fertilizer on? I am a fall fertilizer guy. I don't believe a Salford would be a good incorporation tool. I know I will get responses both ways so please share if your a reduced tillage guy how do you get your fertilizer on. Broadcasting with the floater and just letting it sit there doesn't seem like an option. I own a chisel plow and a very shot field cultivator. Please share your thoughts! Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)