AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Interesting start to the year, I also lost my as.. er donkey
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

bshannon
Posted 1/9/2019 11:51 (#7232093)
Subject: Interesting start to the year, I also lost my as.. er donkey

The other morning started out with lots of excitement. I look out the window to see cattle broke into the side of the shed where they shouldn't be. Guess I better go feed right away and get them out. Once they are out, I turned around and one of the yearling figured out a way to get her head caught in the feeder. Horns were the least of her problem, I don't think I could get the head out anyway. So back to the shop for the sawzall, cut her out, feed the bales, and low and behold, they lies Uncle Tom the Donkey next to the shed, deader than a doornail. Pretty sure it was just plain old age.

Just scratched his ears the day or so before and told him he was a good boy. That was a lie. When I got him about 10 or 12 years ago, he promptly made himself to home by crawling under the boards into the pen where the 2 llamas lived. Bit them in the neck and they were afraid of him for years. Didn't hesitate to bite the cattle in the butt either. They figured out when his ears went back it was time to get away from him. Hired man had a chicken he brought over. Left the chicken in the barn. Dumb chicken just seems to sit around. One day I walk through the manger area. Donkey is on one side, chicken on the other. Five minutes later I come back through to see a pile of chicken feathers and donkey looking totally innocent. Was going to take him for a walk around the yard and grass one nice spring day. Had him on the lead, but pretty soon I was behind him and my steps were getting longer trying to keep up and slow him down. Son was in the house and looked out the kitchen window to see donkey trotting past, me on my back being dragged behind. Said he wondered why I didn't let go. I did, just not soon enough! Worst thing he did was when I brought home 4 new head of cattle. I thought he was in the pasture with the other cattle, so I opened barnyard gate and let the new cattle out. A few minutes later there go the new cattle across the hayfield with donkey in hot pursuit with ears laid back. Caught 2 right away, caught 3rd one a couple days late and # 4 spent most of the summer running creek bottom and refusing to be caught. I strongly suspect a Hmong family across the creek got some nice beef out of that one.

In his prime Uncle Tom could wake up most of the neighborhood with his hee haws, but mostly gave that up in the past few years.

Despite all his misbehaving, gonna miss the old fart.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)