AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to CoC. Spring tillage advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ricksitzmann
Posted 1/7/2019 09:13 (#7226515)
Subject: New to CoC. Spring tillage advice

Iowa
Ive never personally done corn on corn but due to expanding our feedlot we need more earlage and hauling earlage from further farms doesn't pay. So I've decided to go CoC on a 300 acre piece across the road from feedlot

If we can make CoC work this piece will probably be in corn for a long time. Harvest methods will be cutting silage, grinding earlage, or early combining high moisture corn

Anyway this fall we did earlage on half and high moisture corn on half, baled it all and removed 30ish% of the stalks then ran cows from October 20 to Christmas. Now we will be spreading composted feedlot manure once the weather gets colder again.

I don't like fall tillage as i run cows across all my stalk fields and that's a huge $ benefit.

I have a good disc, mulch finisher, vertical till available

I have been notilling this farm on and off or light tilling to incorporate manure. I don't feel compaction is a huge issue here even tho it is run across a lot (chopping, baling, cows, manure) we do a good job of staying in tracks and staying off when its wet plus this year we seem to have a lot of freeze thaw cycles happening

This will need anhydrous this spring yet. I am open to ideas on how to go about tillage or even notill if its a viable option. This farm is terraced so running across the rows at angle isn't an option. Any advice or recommendation for this situation would be appreciated
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)