AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Most cost effective way to steer a JD Swather- Raven, Trimble, or JD help please
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Fawazhay
Posted 1/4/2019 23:57 (#7221177)
Subject: Most cost effective way to steer a JD Swather- Raven, Trimble, or JD help please

Northern CA
Hi - In the fall, I bought a JD W235 Windrower / swather. The Deere dealer left a demo 6000 receiver, 2630 display, and straight and pivot track pattern enabled. That system was priced at $14,xxx. If I wanted to buy it now, it would be $17,xxx as it isn't part of whole goods anymore. At the time my Trimble dealer said that Trimble was a month or two away from being able to plug and play into the swather with my Nav3 controller and I would be able to use my CFX 750 with Nav3 to steer. Today he told me Trimble won't be getting into Deere swathers this year.

I currently use Trimble setups in 3 farm units. I run 4 Raven units in my fertilizer / chemical side. I use Viper Pro and Envizio Pro (one unit might be Envizio Prom2 but can't remember)with Smartrax and an older Smartsteer. I personally like the Raven setup much better. I was actually unimpressed with the Deere demo, but maybe I just wasn't used to it.

I know I don't want to use one of my EZ Steer units. I am not opposed to buying an EZ Pilot or Raven SmartTrax (if not too difficult to install) or Smartax MDU. When cutting hay, I always get the machine cutting on the line after a turn for about 100 feet before engaging so perfect line acquisition isn't super important but staying on the line is.

I don't feel like I need to learn a 3rd system. I can't financially justify $14,000 for a Deere system for only 300 hours a year in the swather. I feel $9000 for a Deere system minus the display and using the armrest monitor is also too expensive for what I get. I have a spare Raven Envizio Pro for backup I could use. The Trimble units aren't used in the farm tractors during hay season, so I could use one of those like I did with my MF swather the last 2 years. Any advice on how to proceed? Thanks.

Edited by Fawazhay 1/5/2019 00:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)