AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Garmin hand held GPS issues.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Thud
Posted 11/25/2018 16:45 (#7127030)
Subject: Garmin hand held GPS issues.

Near-north Ontario, French River
So this isn't really a precision ag question but since its GPS related maybe someone can help? Several of our deer hunting gang use Garmin HCX520/530 rino hand held GPS unit . This year these units were doing some strange things. The GPS side of things SEEMED to be accurate but things like the date and times were wonky on some units, other units worked fine. Am i correct in assuming the date and time would be acquired from the same satellites providing the GPS signal? There is no user changeable setting for the time and date. Most of the radios were off by exactly one hr , which I supposed is related to the date in relation to daylight saving time. The issue with the date is where its weird. Many ready april 19, 2009 , over may 29 etc.. while a couple of the units indicated the correct date.. nov 17, 2018 for example. I updated the firm ware last year, and from checking garmin's site I appear to have the most recent edition. Seems like some of the radio settings were changing randomly as well. For instance one morning I was able to send and receive over the GRMS system, yet in the afternoon could hear nothing. Checked the settings and things like transmitter wattage was changed, and privacy settings had to be reset. I'd chalk that up to random co-incidence on my part( hit buttons accidentily etc) but others had the same problems... very odd. We jokingly blamed the Russians :-) the time and date thing has me baffled though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)