AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

60 bu beans can turn into 25 bu beans pretty quick.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 10/16/2018 06:44 (#7049574)
Subject: 60 bu beans can turn into 25 bu beans pretty quick.

We're probably a week still maybe 10 days with no rains from really getting back into the fields.. Yes we'll probably start mudding around by the weekend.

but Ideally we'd wait until the ground can hold equipment.

Last night I was walking with my wife.. along an unharvested edge of Soybeans..  I can see the split pods from the road.. Right now that field has averaged 68 bushels to the acre on what we've harvested.  I was chastised a few days again when I stated that I could remember.. "a year when we did not get all of the crops out."

Which was true..  I believe the year I was thinking of occurred back in the 1980's  Like this year.. we started in on harvest.. then it rained a boatload..; and we were backed up.  Right now we have no.. Zero wheat acres planted.  I guess our plan is to piece around on hilltops until the wheat ground dries enough that we can go..  Maybe by next week we'll pull off and start in on that..??

It will take us a week to 10 days to sow the wheat.. 2 weeks.  which we will be bumping up against the insurance deadline at that point.  We were going to increase wheat acres... now..??  One field which we were going to turn around from Corn is half under water.. there is no place for it to drain.. the last time it had this much water on it.. it took about 6 to 7 weeks for the water to go down... and that was during the summer.  Right now.. almost half of our acreage is like this.. as I said.. the basin over is 60% according to KGS... which does not drain to a stream.. our basin is smaller but probably 40 to 50%

I estimate that I have about 70 acre feet of water on one half section.. If I had a place to pump it too.. (like the neighbors field) which I don't.. LOL he doesn't want it.. it would still take about 55 days to pump that off.. so probably about..??  35% of our intended wheat area is under water.. but when all is said and done.. assuming that it quits raining... maybe we'll get that number down to 15% unplanted by Thanksgiving...   ???

Back to the Soybeans.. we have most of our full season beanies out.. but to our east they are only about 5 to 10% out.. as I mentioned some of the pods are popping open.. I could see 5%, 10% 15% losses on those acres probably 8% shatter loss.. 58 bu beans becomes.. 53 bu beans.. and say 5% is unharvestable.. which turns it into 50 bushels for a field average instead of pushing 60.

If you do that across the 50% of the US crop.. 88.3 myn acres x 50% still out there x 8 bushels lost = 353 million bushels lost.

If you take that off 885 myn - 353 = 532 million and this BIG Carryout goes "poof."

Then all the shorts cover.. and we're sitting over $10 beanies..

Anyway back to that field in the 1980's.. we got most of the crop out down to the last 20 acres.. pops was tired of cutting up his fields and tearing up equipment so when we quit harvesting at dusk before another snow storm came in.. "well we'll just wait until it drys out.."  

It never did till next spring.. 55 bu beans were making like 25 bu by then.. and we never got it.

I don't know on how much acreage.. but that's going to happen again this year.  There are area;s that will never dry out before next spring even if we have no more rain/snow.  We need 6 weeks plus just to get the other 95%...  as things stand right now.. and they are already calling for more rain the middle of next week.. about the time we can start to go.

Are we going to even get that?

We Literally NEED 6 weeks of sunshine and NO MORE RAINS/snows just for the low spots to dry out.. to take the 35%.. 33% down to 5%.. that we can not get on.

Edited by JonSCKs 10/16/2018 06:49

(20181013_170444 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20181013_170444 (full).jpg (93KB - 99 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)